Search results

1. AveryFreeman

Unifi USW-Pro-Aggregation SFP+ SFP28+ switch 10/25GbE for auction

I'm selling my super bad-ass switch because I'm liquidating my entire homelab Auction is here: Ubiquiti USW-Pro-Aggregation UniFi 28x10G SFP+ 4x25G SFP28+ Ports Managed Switch 810010072597 | eBay I noticed these are going used for $660 on B&H Photo, so I listed mine for $399 start and $650...
  2. AveryFreeman

WTB Aten KVM adapters e.g. KA7169 - HDMI or Displayport

Hi, I have an ATEN KA1516 KVM switch for my micro PC cluster and managed to buy 4 KA7169 adapters off someone selling a gang of them on eBay for $20/ea. I want to expand the cluster, but the only adapters I've seen listed are like $150+, which is ridiculous and just not happening - that's...
  3. AveryFreeman

Fleabay: Celestia D4040 QSFP+ switch, bug free 2020 model

Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone was interested, there's a ton of these for sale, asking $180 obo. Apparently brand new in box and built in 2020, so no B0 stepping bug (the listing discusses it specifically). https://www.ebay.com/itm/275488379876 I decided to "downgrade" to 25GbE...
  4. AveryFreeman

Does anyone know the difference between the QL41132 and the QL41162 cards?

Does anyone know the difference between the QL41132 and the QL41162 cards? I am trying to figure it out, but I haven't been able to find any comparisons. Feature set and support looks the same in VMware HCL. Anyone have any experience with these QLogic things? They look well supported and...
  5. AveryFreeman

Has anyone else "downgraded" from QSFP+ (40GbE) to SFP+ (10GbE) gear? And if so, why?

Wondering if anyone else has done this, and if so, how'd it go? I've got all these QSFP+ cards direct-connected right now, and have spent countless hours looking at different QSFP+ switches, but they're all super loud, super expensive, and any that are within my budget have major caveats. If I...
  6. AveryFreeman

Celestica XP D4040 questions for owners - please advise

I'm looking at getting one of these switches because they and CX3 NICs are so damn cheap. I'm already spending way too much on my lab and want to try and budget as much as possible. That being said, I'd like to avoid as many headaches as possible. That, and any direction that leads in a dead...
  7. AveryFreeman

Present vg on host as a local disk to vm in Proxmox?

Hi, I'm not familiar with Proxmox, as I've only done work with bare virsh/libvirt, virt-manager, qemu, etc. on vanilla Linux distros, but I thought I'd give it a shot for a client since Proxmox has a lot of nice features out of the box, and I consider Linux the Grand Poobah of software defined...
  8. AveryFreeman

Proper torque for Epyc 7551P in Supermicro H11SSL-I; what about heatsink?

Hi, So I've been having a hard time getting my first Epyc board to post. I don't have the proper torque wrench provided with the new AMD processors, so I was "winging it" with a regular torx screwdriver. I was planning to go grab a precision torque screwdriver from a local hardware store so...
  9. AveryFreeman

Supermicro X10SRL-F

With much sadness, I am selling my X10SRL-F on eBay, which I just listed for $250: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255727766049 I bought it new so it even includes the block diagram poster! Also original receipt. I don't have the box anymore, but the IO shield hasn't been opened, as it was in my...
  10. AveryFreeman

Does Supermicro H11SSL-I have a built-in speaker? Shouldn't it beep during startup?

Hey, I'm trying to put together an Epyc 7551P and a Supermicro H11SSL-I, both were purchased used on eBay, and I haven't gotten it to post yet, so I'm pretty concerned. I've read that the amount of torque you apply to the chip socket and/or heatsink is kind of fiddly, so I've removed and...
  11. AveryFreeman

Will Noctua NH-U12S with 2x Arctic P12s will cool 180W TDP CPU?

Like the title says, Do you think a Noctua NH-U12S with 2x Arctic P12s slapped on it in push/pull will cool my new 180W TDP Epyc 7551P 32-core CPU? :oops: I'm kind of skeptical myself Although, it DOES look ike you can fit an assload of Arctic silver on this heat spreader... o_O Thoughts?
  12. AveryFreeman

Am I crazy for considering A-key to M-key m.2 adapter for Dell 7050 micro?

Hey, So this is what I'm talking about: https://smile.amazon.com/Sintech-NGFF-NVME-WiFi-Cable/dp/B07DZF1W55/ I know x1 PCIe lanes is lame compared to x4, but hear me out: I want to build a cluster out of 5 Dell 7050 micros I have, I got a bunch of their motherboards for $10 each during the...
  13. AveryFreeman

Arctic P8 or other consumer fan for 2U Supermicro chassis?

Hey, So I'm an unfortunate owner of a 2U Supermicro case that is ridiculously loud, and I am being relocated into a space I have to share with it intimately. I'm trying to decide whether I should try and sell or give the thing away, or fit it with some quieter fans. It's a CSE-825 RB740 I...
  14. AveryFreeman

Crap. Any idea how to repurpose these SCSI hot swap enclosures bought by mistake?

Jeez I've really been striking out when it comes to stuff lately, first I bought some pin-7 power SATA DOMs by accident, and now this - this is a colossal ****-up. It's a HUGE box of the wrong shit. I ordered 5 of these supermicro M35S hot swap enclosures, not realizing they were SCSI - I...
  15. AveryFreeman

Is anyone using maas or auto-deploy for vSphere?

So I'm kind of trying to set up auto-deploy, but not really sure if it's necessary in my case as I only have 3 hosts and will probably need a stateful config due to host inconsistencies. Is anyone using auto-deploy for a relatively small cluster? If so, how's it working out? Did you require a...
  16. AveryFreeman

Have you seen the new vSphere 7 boot device guidance?

Hey, I am just coming across this, so it is still rather new to me, but I'd been using USB flash drives for all my vSphere hosts since v5.5. Apparently that's not recommended anymore as of v7...
  17. AveryFreeman

Dude, since when are Supermicro E5 v3/4 (x10) motherboards so expensive?

I was just flipping through eBay to see if there were any matches to my 2 X10SRL-F motherboards available, they used to be around $150-$250 (I got my first one new for $280 in 2018). Now they are like $450-550 and they're actually selling for that much (!) Sure enough, the new ones are just as...
  18. AveryFreeman

VSAN vs DRS for Micro PC cluster in homelab?

Hey, I'm not really sure what to do in this situation, I've got a handful of Dell 7050 Micro PCs that are very limited as far as connectivity. I'm running vCenter and would like to have some auto deploy + vRealize/vROPs + DPM going with Tanzu TCE, RKE or OKD cluster additionally I have 3 proper...
  19. AveryFreeman

Good 10GbE card for vSAN + "blades"?

Hey, I have a number of micro PCs I am planning to run off 10GbE cards for storage I see in HCL there are a few options like marvel, Broadcom, Chelsio that are supported in 7.0+ but do some of them suck? I have heard Broadcom and Marvel chips have bad reputations, have they improved over the...
  20. AveryFreeman

How is Napp-It on Linux these days?

I heard Napp-it was porting to linux, saw some people discussing it from a few years back. Is this still part of the projected trajectory of napp-it, due to the waning proliferation of Illumos and Solaris? I've been mainly using Linux these days since now that Samba doesn't suck quite so much...