Search results

1. V

Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

Try to run benchmark and GPU-Z sensors at the same time. You will see the history of GPU clocks and power consumption cap reason. If it is thermals, you need a better thermal paste and reseat the cooler. If power cap is present - change the power supply to 120W.
  2. V

10 and 40 Gb networking on the cheap ($5 - $10)

Don't want to hijack the thread, but they selling this simple adapter on aliexpress now along with card for 30-40 usd.
  3. V

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

My generic X79 boots without video card and any specific settings. You might need to set "ignore POST errors" BIOS option, not sure.
  4. V

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

I am sure ECC always enabled on Xeons when ECC memory is installed. try this commands to see if your memory in ECC mode linux = dmidecode -t 17 windows = wmic MemoryChip get DataWidth,TotalWidth
  5. V

Powering HP ProLiant SL230/250s nodes as stand-alone

Try to remove battery for several minutes or press power for 10 seconds without it (with PSU disconnected).
  6. V

If I recall correctly it takes long to post if it overheats or there are hundreds of gigs ram installed for first time. You can try reset the CMOS may be it help. But in general GPU should not disable ILO graphics, I had both. I can try to run my blade again in about 2 weeks.
  7. V

I don't think anyone selling this cable now, you can do it yourself with "Dupont Crimper" or order from a repair shop, they usually have tools and connectors. I had connected bot coolers with molex to dual 4(3) pin adapter, no speed regulation of course, but who need it in server. Currently I...
  8. V

Hackintosh on a c602 based workstation (or similar)

My understanding is Apple have dropped support for the trashcan/imac and macbooks with pre Haswell CPUs. You wont be able to use it natively with Ventura and even patchers might not help according to some reports.
  9. V

Pfsense(or Opnsense) on a Cisco ASA-5512-X

There is an instruction how to install openwrt / linux on "server size" ASAs. https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-on-old-cisco-asa-5525-x-appliance/127704 I wonder if anyone tried to install on oldest Geode based ASA 5505? I have couple of them upgraded to 1 Gb RAM and 512 Mb CF, should be...
  10. V

There is now12 gen "New OptiPlex 3000/5000/7000 Micro", limited to 35W based on description, super expensive.
  11. V

Converting an HP DL380e Gen8 14xLFF Server to a Disk Shelf

Can you please measure depth of the 12 LFF cage? I initially planned SFF cage to install in teleco rack, but LFF looks so hoardy...
  12. V

Supermicro B1SA4-2750F blade with 4 Atom C2750

Hi, anyone was even encounter microblades from supermicro? I really like passive cooling, IPMI and four 8 core cpus (very slow, but still goot enough for docker) with 16 gb ECC DDR3 sodimms each for a half size of ATX motherboard. Manual is here Boards can be bought on ebay for 200 usd. SATA...
  13. V

UK HP MicroServer G7 N54L / 4GB ( servero.co.uk ) £69

I think it might be "not enough power" issue, try another molex connector from the PSU or replace the PSU, I recall something like this with LTO drives when they can't pull enough power from 12v. I think I just lucky with GREENs drives and low power SAS adapter.
  14. V

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

Every motherboard can use UEFI, via coreboot for example. All Chinese X79 motherboards have UEFI APTIO 4 firmware. What do you need it for? NVME boot?
  15. V

ES Xeon Discussion

It is 50-70 usd for retail version now. Hope LGA 3647 finals become available in a year with similar prices.
  16. V

Low-cost, Lowest Power Windows PC

MeLE Quieter2 - cheap, j4125 4 core, 8 gb and 128 gb eMMC onboard, support m2 nvme, dual HDMI 2.0, 10w under load. Cpu is old, but I wish anything with Elkhart Lake will be available.
  17. V

Anyone know if HP Thunderbolt 3.0 Flex IO v2 1E8A4AA is compatible with anything else than super expensive HP 600/800 micro? Can I install it on 300 series or even dell or lenovo?
  18. V

ES Xeon Discussion

Hi guys, anyone had a pair of ql1m working together?
  19. V

POWEREDGE C6320 Node 150-200 usd

I bought one of these for 50 usd I believe. It still laying on the shelf. It will be royal pain to make it work, even to power on. Every connector is proprietary, not a single management port or standard PCIe exposed. I recall I have found part numbers and pinouts on OCP site but you have to...
  20. V

NAS build advice 2021/2022

I'm planing another waste of money and time endeavor for multi 10 GbE router/NAS using this dirt cheap chinese LGA 2011 mining motherboard. It is look ugly but have five x8 (x16 mechanical) slots that should be directly attached to the CPU. 40 lines of pcie 3.0 in total in 80 USD motherboard...