Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
DDR4 (SO)DIMMs max out at 32GB.
That DDR4 SODIMM limitation is actually at a fab level - you cannot make denser DDR4 units and still have it work with the memory controller in existing CPU/APUs. If you want 64GB SODIMMs, you'll need DDR5, and as of Q2 2022, they do not yet exist.
DDR5 SODIMMs are quoted at nearly 1.5 to 2x the pricing of equivalent DDR4 units (i.e. this Crucial 64GB DDR5 kit at 490 versus this Crucial DDR4-3200 setup at 315, or this G.Skill Ripjaw kit at 209).

If you want more than 64GB per TMM node...well, it would not happen unless:
a) It has more than 2 SODIMM slots (none exists AFAIK)
b) >32 GB SODIMM units show up for DDR4 (also not happening)
c) You have a Zen3+/Zen 4 or Alder Lake (and beyond) DDR5 machine and it's around 2023-4 when the 64GB SODIMMs shows up, but be prepared to pay a crap-ton for them.

At this stage, if you want a machine with more RAM, just buy an SFF machine with 4 regular RAM slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

kukat

Apr 17, 2022
Hello,

I've been looking at getting another NIC in my ProDesk 600 G6 off and on for a couple of months now. I took a chance on the 2.5GbE Flex Port, (SKU: 169K0AT), that is only advertised and listed by HP as compatible with the Z2 series of machines. Anyway, I installed it in my ProDesk 600 G6, and it works perfectly. I'm currently running opnsense on the ProDesk without issues. It seems like this same flex port can likely be used in the Elitedesk minis as well. There is a 2.5GbE NIC that is listed as an option for the Elitedesk.

It's an Intel i225-V Revision 2 chip. There are apparently some issues with this version, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else.
does it fit in ProDesk 600 G6 Mini? I found the photo on CDW HP Flexport - LAN port - 169K0AT - Ethernet Adapters - CDW.com, the baffle looks different and doesn't match FlexIO port on ProDesk 600 G6 Mini

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
Did anyone try to upgrade to rocket lake in a P340 (aka M90q G1)?
I am tempted to try but am a bit skeptical of the benefit. I also read on the lenovo forum that they clearly stated they would not upgrade the BIOS to support the Rocket Lake microcodes so I doubt that it will work.

Kaloz

Mar 30, 2022
I am tempted to try but am a bit skeptical of the benefit. I also read on the lenovo forum that they clearly stated they would not upgrade the BIOS to support the Rocket Lake microcodes so I doubt that it will work.
Well, they didn't announce the removal of whitelisting either, yet both my P350 and M75q G2 is happy with whatever wifi card you put into them ;)

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
Well, they didn't announce the removal of whitelisting either, yet both my P350 and M75q G2 is happy with whatever wifi card you put into them ;)
Yeah you are right... Who knows. I am running a 10850K (125W TDP) with an AMD WX4100 on mine, none of which is on the supported list... o_O

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Similarly the various M75q models use the exact same motherboard as far as I can see, so is it possible to use the latest AMD CPUs in the original M75q gen 1? Is there actually any difference between the gen 1 and gen 2? I no longer have one to check.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
Trying to figure this out too but in reference to a pair of m715q gen 1 units I have both running the A10-9700E apu. I've seen a couple posts that the board *should* support Ryzen 5 Pro 2400ge, however, a post I tripped across recently on the Lenovo forums seems to state that this is not necessarily the case. 8m BIOS vs 16m on the gen1 m715q. I saw an STH forum post on the m715q's that suggest the Ryzen processors work in the gen1 models. I'd like to try, however, not worth the price of one of those early ryzens I don't think without knowing for certain.

UncleTrouble

Jul 16, 2022
There is now12 gen "New OptiPlex 3000/5000/7000 Micro", limited to 35W based on description, super expensive.
I happened to click that link and noticed that Dell is having a "July Black Friday" sale...40% off a lot of the OptiPlex machines. I couldn't help myself and bought one.

Edit: A specific example: the OptiPlex 7000 Micro can be had for 42% off. Based on the sale name this might not be going on for much longer, though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Aluminat

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Great list,

As a suggestion, you could add some goldmont/Goldmont plus (Gemini/Apollo Lake) mini pc's or thin clients.

Like the dell wyse 5070 thin client, its j5005 based and makes a great low power tiny server.

Thanks!
I've stuck to 1lt units, or this could get way out of control, and I have a couple I can relate to
But feel free to start your own Thin Client version

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
@mobilenvidia , you seem quite knowledgeable with these small, brilliant boxes. Is there any which you can cram in 3 or 4 drives, M.2 or 2.5"? Seems that there are several which can take two drives, but I'd like to go all in.

Other hardware specs don't matter, x64 CPU and non-soldered RAM will do.
I've used startech adapters to put 4x NVMe/m.2 sata drives in thinkstation tiny units. Not the P350 tiny though it doesn't have a suitable 2.5" caddy, although @Parallax has tested the header which does work.

Reactions: XeonLab

nukke

Aug 5, 2021
Anyone know if the new HP Elite Mini 800 G9 PCs that *don't* come with a Quadro still have a PCIe slot? I've been unable to find any disassembly videos or forum posts. The manual only shows a picture with the Quadro card, but those models seem to share the heatsink pipes.

They're currently $800 with the 12500T and I'm debating whether or not to buy, but I'd want to slap a 10G NIC in them.

Last edited:

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
Anyone know if the new HP Elite Mini 800 G9 PCs that *don't* come with a Quadro still have a PCIe slot? I've been unable to find any disassembly videos or forum posts. The manual only shows a picture with the Quadro card, but those models seem to share the heatsink pipes.

They're currently $800 with the 12500T and I'm debating whether or not to buy, but I'd want to slap a 10G NIC in them.
Look closely at the pictures of the back of the unit. You will notice that HP actually doesn’t use “standard PCIe slot” on their minis, not even with a dGPU. The dGPU are non standard parts with proprietary slots and PCBs. Only the newer generations of Lenovo tints and some very rare dGPU versions of the Dell Micro offer a standard PCIe. HP definitely not…

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011

The HP 1L PCs that have GPUs don't use a normal PCIe slot. The GPU is a custom board that connects to the HP "miniport" PCIe connector. 100% custom...

You can confirm this for the G9 in the hardware service manual found here.

Tyrant82

Oct 11, 2011
Hello,

So i bought myself an Elitedesk 800 G5 DM to move some VMs from my dl380p g9 server to lower those horrendous european electric costs, and to tinker with something new for my homelab (*giggle*).

Now i thought about getting a 2nd G5 DM and to get a Thunderbolt Addin Card so i could buy and use an eGPU Case (something like the Razer Core X) and to move my gaming VM to this 2nd HP Elitedesk but i have very bad luck in searching that HP FlexIO Module (HP PartNr# 3TK77AA).

So does someone know any EU sources that i cant find online to buy these FlexIO Module please?

I also thought about getting an Elitedesk G6 DM if the FlexIO v2 Thunderbolt3 would be easier to find, but G6 DMs are not very cheap yet and barely buyable in used form..

Edit: Nobody got any information where to order some HP FlexIO Thunderbolt Modules please?

Last edited: