Search results

1. andrewbedia

Gigabyte MD71-HB0 (also: datto siris 4 enterprise) bifurcation bios mod

A guide. Gigabyte has chosen not to expose bifurcation capabilities on this board. This board is also found in Datto Siris 4 Enterprise appliances if you scoop them up on ebay or whatever. Obvious warning that this is not running per the mfr specs anymore if you do this and I will not fix your...
  2. andrewbedia

NVMe drives for KVM on ZFS

Looking to explore upgrading from 4x SM953 480GB in two mirrors (RAID10) in ZFS. The perfomance is 'okay' but not particularly great for 4-5 VMs. Platform is 2x Xeon Silver 4216 and 256GiB RAM. L2ARC to a Intel S3700 (not ideal, I'm aware) definitely helped, but it's still crappy performance...
  3. andrewbedia

Fun with IBM HGST HUH721010AL4200 9.93TB -> 10TB

I bought a bunch of the drives in the title and they came with type 2 protection on them and reported 9.93TB in lsscsi/smartctl. I'm using RHEL 8.5, a SAS2308 controller, and a NetApp DS4243 I have dealt with this in the past as discussed in this thread on 8TB sun/oracle HGST drives...
  4. andrewbedia

Water Panther (WP) drives

Starting a thread on this. They are another white labeling company, but seem to be far more... desirable (?) than GoHardDrive. Looks like their drives come with a 2 year warranty. Purchased two 12TB SATA drives from them with Costco VISA (bumping warranty to 4 years). Here is an exact link to...
  5. andrewbedia

Multi-NVMe (m.2, u.2) adapters that do not require bifurcation

Just wanted to share some information with the wonderful folks on STH forums. I stumbled on this about nine months ago by accident digging in aliexpress. There are adapters being sold by two Chinese domestic market companies that allow multiple NVMe drives on the same slot without requiring...
  6. andrewbedia

SE316M1 firmware?

Anyone have the firmware for these? I know this thing is basically a boat anchor because of its age, but I do actually have a working one that has R02 (2009) firmware. I've read there is R02 (2011) firmware or newer through a lot of googling, but haven't found a way to get it. I think this is...
  7. andrewbedia

poor nvme performance on broadcom 9440-8i / lenovo 530-8i?

I got a pair of these cards and one of the overpriced LSI cables to make it work with NVMe. I've got it flashed to latest firmware and have a P3500 2TB drive hooked to it. Before using it on this tri-mode HBA, I used it on a PCIe card converter and I was getting 3GB/s reads. This broadcom card...
  8. andrewbedia

Issues formatting 8TB 512e to 4Kn

I've done this several times with He8 and He10 SAS 512e drives to get physical and logical units to both be 4096. However, I have a stack of ST8000NM0075 drives that I'm trying to do this to and keep getting 4224 physical and 528 bytes logical. I've tried: sg_format --size=4096 --format...
  9. andrewbedia

pfsense site-to-site openvpn

Got a bit of an issue where I have a site-to-site OpenVPN going between two pfSense boxes. Pfsense vpn server (In Diagnostics -> Ping) ping tunnel address of pfsense vpn client (x.x.x.2) -- Success ping to a machine on pfsense vpn client's local network -- Failure Pfsense vpn client (In...
  10. andrewbedia

crossflashing dell 6gbps sas hba

Very similar to H200/H310. Things went sideways and I'm just trying to flash 6gbpsas.fw to it using Updated: SAS HBA crossflashing or flashing to IT mode, Dell Perc H200 and H310 ...I'll just keep it simple and attach a photo
  11. andrewbedia

PRO/1000 PT Short Brackets

Will these www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Gigabit-ET-dual-port-Low-profile-slot-Bracket-/162318673952?hash=item25caf26820:g:sGcAAOSwA3dYJkky fit the dual port PRO/1000 PT cards like EXPI9402PTBLK Intel PRO/1000 Pt dual port pcie Network Card, EXPI9402PT I've got the card already but want to convert it...
  12. andrewbedia

RMS25KB080 not working

I bought two of these Intel RMS25KB080 6Gb/s SAS/SATA Integrated RAID Module G35828-310 w/bracket 100% Neither one shows a bios nor shows up in device manager. Am I missing something obvious? I'm using an ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE board running Windows 10 and I've tried both the second x16 PCIe 3.0...
  13. andrewbedia

Cheap LGA1356 E5-2450L

Seller is accepting $50 offers. Intel Xeon E5-2450L 1.8GHz 8-Core CPU SR0LH
  14. andrewbedia

3D printing HP Non Hot-Swap drive trays

Curious. Can anyone here 3D Print things, and if so, how much for (accurately) printing this: HP Proliant 652998-001 Gen8 LFF Non Hot Plug Drive Tray / Caddy replacement by DennisTheMenace I haven't gotten it yet, but I have a HP cage that takes NON HOT PLUG trays, which aren't the normal...
  15. andrewbedia

HP Gen8 (and newer trays): Can you use hot plug in non?

UPDATE: The smart trays do work in the non hot plug slots (tested this). No extra force required. I'd be willing to bet that the dumb trays fit the smart slots as well, but I'm not spending $20-25 on a dumb tray to find out. The smart trays are cheaper ($10-15). So they have these new...
  16. andrewbedia

OCZ Website

WTF happened to it? There's almost no information about their SSDs, and there isn't any information on there about their enterprise SSDs. No legacy info, no data sheets. Did I miss something? Wasn't it fine a few months ago? I remember being able to read data sheets on the Deneva 2 R and when I...
  17. andrewbedia

ADGUARD

Not paid to shill for them, nor have they ever contacted me. I used to use a program called Ad Muncher that used to kill off ads that things like Adblock Plus couldn't touch (it just flat out was more effective at doing its job). The developer has since made the product free, but that may have...
  18. andrewbedia

pfSense 2.3 UI changes (gripes and complaints)

EDIT: Not really "hardware". Please move it to where it belongs if you feel so compelled. Been a while since I've posted anything. So there's this thing called pfSense 2.3 Am I the only one that is having a strong dislike for the new revised UI? I feel like RRD Graphs (now "Monitoring") has...
  19. andrewbedia

4TB Enterprise SATA 7.2K Toshiba NEW $114ea

Surprised nobody has posted this. Brand new, $114 TOSHIBA MD04ACA400 4 TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 64MB cache Enterprise Hard Drive
  20. andrewbedia

Seagate ST3000DM001 lawsuit

OC3D :: Article :: Seagate Hit with Class Action Lawsuit for High Failure Rates :: Seagate Hit with Class Action Lawsuit for High Failure Rates