Search results

1. T

when to buy 'a proper server' (and not just put server OS on a desktop)

Currently my uses are pretty simple... I don't need to run 128 Epyc cores on a decade old platform sucking 1000 watts at low load for any of my use. :) I'm currently planning a used skylake era (i call that anything 6th to 10th gen) desktop for my fairly minimal home needs of plex...
  2. T

shucking revisited 2024 - SMR vs CMR

Because I haven't gotten drives in a bit i was rechecking shucks.top for good values - everything I got before was 12-18tb which as far as I know was all conventional/non shingled. With some prices per TB on 20's and 22's starting to seem comparable (esp if no special sales) I was wondering if...
  3. T

requesting some help understanding m2, U2 and SSD options...

Sooo let me start with the fact that i've been impoverished and am really behind the times. Neither of my main PC's even have an SSD, even for Adobe CC, because upgrades kept getting postponed due to unplanned medical and other bills and "it was still working" for my limited use so I didn't...
  4. T

does any older win server support pci passthru for VDI?

So i'm trying to research (on a hobby level for now) doing something like the VDI virtual gameservers for more than one user, streamed, similar to whats been done by Craft Computing and linus tech tips (cant remember if they did the same thing). I was going to first experiment with proxmox but...
  5. T

best value xeon cpu's from E3-12xx v3, E5-16xx 26xx 46xx, v3 v4, and thru skylake v5

I'm trying to research CPU options for some planned computer builds in the next four months. (more than one PC) The oldest computer i'm researching for is a consumer gigabyte Z97 board - currently it has an i5 4440s at 2.8ghz with integrated graphics. (at the moment it's not going to use or...
  6. T

buying suggestions for DDR3 era workstations...

So i'm planning to go to one or more of the computer recyclers in the big city sometime in december. I would like to find one or more workstations from the DDR3 type RAM era, mostly because the last time i looked (tho that was awhile ago) the ram was way cheaper than anything DDR4. It's...
  7. T

what type of AI audiovisual software is out there? (& hardware needs)

Hopefully this doesn't seem to broad or clueless, but let me try to say or ask it better: #1 I am trying to research and better understand alot of the AI software that is available now, or is coming out/in ongoing development... specifically for any audiovisual use.. (picture generation like...
  8. T

need SSD suggestions 1-4TB range for desktop

Suggestions and maybe troubleshoot.. Hi.. so i'm currently forced to use a older than desired computer (phenom x6 with 32gigs ram) running windows 10 which I have to keep working just a bit longer because my newer computer got stolen from me by an evil roommate. Between Adobe CC and some...
  9. T

18TB easystore $265 for next 8 hours Best Buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-18tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6427995.p?skuI=&skuId=6427995 This is $15 less than the amazon price or anywhere else I can find, amazon has had some fairly decent (not great) prices for everything 10-20TB lately but the 18tb is the best value...
  10. T

USB 14tb WD Easystore $199 Best Buy (and 18tb $280)

I literally ordered this saturday for pickup today prepaid at $240 and when I showed up in person I noticed on the shelf it was $199. It's also showing up on shucks.top just now - great price for anyone needing a drive. The 14tb seems to be 7200rpm (smaller ones may be 5400rpm) and seems to be...
  11. T

14tb WD easystore ext - shingled or no? (or sugg an internal)

Hi, i've tried searching the internet but i'm finding this ambiguous to verify. "Mixed answers" favoring that it's not but I can't tell. I'm looking at buying two more 14tb WD easystores - I need more space and one of my brand new externals just died. I expect they will eventually be shucked...
  12. T

"restoring from LTO tape fails 40-70% of the time??"

Crossposting an OLD comment, i'd like to find the actual original article for more context, and specific details... https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-restores-from-a-tape-drive-fail The general findings show that more than 50% of the time, a full recovery attempt from tape will result...
  13. T

Morgonaut converting me to virtualization...

So i'm posting this in server/workstation builds because it will definitely affect my future server/workstation builds. I'm deciding this is something I need to learn more about before I commit down a less efficient path/this seems like something worth planning for or trying. For those who...
  14. T

direct attach 10GbE with 3 or more points? fiberchannel?

A post in another thread inspired me to ask about this question i've had in the back of my mind for a bit... I know 10gig cards are down, but I was less sure on issues of switches and cabling esp if wanting to interoperate with slower newer 2.5gig and 5gig ethernet. Is it viable to do direct...
  15. T

secondhand SAS HBA card/expander advice

So one topic sort of turns into a different topic... but this is good, at least i'm making progress in understanding what I need. :) So i'm already totally sold on SAS from this site for awhile, and for the first two NAS boxes I need to build speed is not critical (glorified JBOD bit bucket...
  16. T

speed bottlenecks - NAS for 1g/2.5g/5g/10g?

So my first project is still going to be to build two NAS boxes - but they are only connected by 1gig ethernet to start and more of a bit bucket so I don't consider them a speed concern. A Raspberry Pi could probably keep up. One will be used to offload large amounts of video files (the other...
  17. T

Hackintosh on a c602 based workstation (or similar)

Although this might be more suited for hackintoshing boards, i'm just curious if anyone here either shares this interest or knows off of the shelf examples or has any relevant advice to the topic... I want to hackintosh a sandy bridge or ivy bridge era workstation board - i'm pretty sure this...
  18. T

suggested used hot swap SAS chassis w/PSU 12+ bay

Soooooo after a multi year absence finally within spitting distance of building a couple of NAS boxes mostly for video file storage. Last time here I think Supermicro something or other was suggested, maybe was being dumped on the market at the time and maybe theyre still the hot ticket and...
  19. T

anyone interested in Redundant Array of Independant Tape?

So I posted originally 4-5 years back I think with a project that nobody seemed to understand quite exactly what I was doing or why... which is fine, because I realized I was braindumping too much not fully baked information about something that was still forming in my head. I've posted on...
  20. T

best value shuckable drives as of sept2022?

Last time I posted this was over two years ago. :) This is the same question it's only wondering whether or not anything has changed since then... Back then the 10/12/14tb western digital external USB drives were the best deal going when on sale, nonshingled I believe and needing a power plug...