suggested used hot swap SAS chassis w/PSU 12+ bay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Soooooo after a multi year absence finally within spitting distance of building a couple of NAS boxes mostly for video file storage.

Last time here I think Supermicro something or other was suggested, maybe was being dumped on the market at the time and maybe theyre still the hot ticket and maybe others are a better value by now.

- I only need SAS2 speedwise, upgrading to SAS3 or SAS4 in the future would be a real nice option though i'll be on spinning rust for awhile yet.
- Hot swap assumed
- Can be with or without an SAS Expander built into the chassis, use cabling or backplanes
- 12+ bays needed or i'll just use 8 bay ATX tower cases I have, probably starting with one 12 and one 16 bay for first two projects
- Availability of a quiet PSU (or dual PSU) would be nice, doesn't have to start out with one as it will be put in the furnace room but i've seen how loud server equipment can get, so later yes : P

Main issue is just the long term costs for case, PSU's, and keeping in mind about future availability/usability. (can I still get replacement PSU's in 10 years/is this some standard just upgraded to SAS4 and still used?) Since it needs an SAS Expander anyways it doesn't hugely matter if it's included in the case or if I separately get a card as long as the price offset is comparable.

In 2-3 years i'll be building again for SSD's at SAS3 or 4 speeds, this is just to get me started.

What would the experts here suggest to look at?

EDIT: Yes this is for 3.5" drives.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If 3.5" drives, Supermicro 826/836/846 are still really the gold standard for rackmount chassis. Quiet PSU options are available.

Reactions: Twice_Shy