best value xeon cpu's from E3-12xx v3, E5-16xx 26xx 46xx, v3 v4, and thru skylake v5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
I'm trying to research CPU options for some planned computer builds in the next four months. (more than one PC)

The oldest computer i'm researching for is a consumer gigabyte Z97 board - currently it has an i5 4440s at 2.8ghz with integrated graphics. (at the moment it's not going to use or benefit from an add-in GPU until later and adding a card will take up a slot) I'd like to upgrade but I wasn't sure how much performance boost i'd get since I don't want to throw much money at it for only some small 15-20% gain.

It supports Xeon E3-12xx models both v3 and v4, the broadwell i7-5775c and 5675c models (integrated graphics, 4c/8t, and 3.3ghz or 3.1ghz respectively), and the haswell i7-4790k (4.0ghz 4c/8t, but i'd have to add a gpu), and core i7-4790 (3.6ghz, 4c/8t, would need a gpu) and i7-4790s (3.2ghz, 4c/8t, should have the built in gpu). I'm wondering which of these might give me at least a 25-30% boost in work type loads (not for gaming - things like Adobe CC and other AV software, maybe pro tools) for the minimum of money. I assumed any overclockable cpu would have the prices driven up by others - since z97 doesn't OC that doesn't benefit me. Are there any value standouts that would do this?

The newest computer i'm going to be researching will be a dell precision 3620 workstation - this looks like it will support E3-12xx v5 xeons, higher core i7-6000's and i7-7000's. If the xeons are a better value than those i7's used obviously i'd go with that.

I dont have them yet but i'm also considering some HP Z-series like the Z440 Z640 Z840 models which should support v3 and v4 xeons - but of several lines like E5-16xx E5-26xx and E5-46xx if I understand, with the best values probably in the 46xx line because consumer board people can't use them or even most other workstations I think. I'm considering the same cpu's if I got a Dell Precision 5810 instead v3/v4 xeon but I don't think they support as wide of a range, or more than 14 cores for what I read somewhere. (but 6-12 seems fine, and i'm looking for a sweet spot and preferring more ghz to absolute max cores for this moment... I might 16 core one later, but for the moment 6-12 is my target) There's some desktop cpus also supported but i'm sure xeons will be a better value in this era.

nexox

May 3, 2023
I haven't exactly surveyed the entire market, but the e5-4600 v4 chips sure don't look like a better value than similarly specced e5-2600 v4 CPUs, which are already pretty inexpensive. An 18 core 4667 is around $90 but the similar 2690 is only $40, with slightly higher clocks and lower TDP.

It could entirely depend upon other little details i'm aware... my biggest assumption is any xeon which works in a consumer board and is multiplier unlocked/overclockable is going to pay a premium. I'm pretty sure no 46xx's are. But maybe the craze is mostly past - I know the 26xx's are less compatible with like those chinese xeon based recycled chipset boards which usually seem to want 16xx's.

I'm wanting to do a bit of research on this because savings difference adds up more if i'm looking to buy 3 or more used cpu's for HP Z's. (more over time if the first ones work out well as I help get other video production friends up to speed)