Search results

1. B

Trouble forcing 4k / ashift=12, need help with SD.conf

Thanks for the info. Since I already have a 2TB spare that also gets seen as a 512byte drive and works fine in the array I'll just stick with it at ashift=9. I keep rotated backups of everything anyway :)
  2. B

So i tried some more settings since I obviously had the wrong stuff plugged into SD.CONF. I updated it with the correct names of my drives and even tried doing it "wildcard" like suggested by napp-it but nothing works. If I remember correctly the WD RED drives report 4k sectors to the OS and...
  3. B

I just can't seem to get it to force 4k even though the majority of the drives are 4k drives (only 2 of the 10 are not 4k!!). Its running in a ESX VM with passthrough so one of my options I think is using ZFS guru to make the pool, I was just hoping to get it all working through...
  4. B

11 disk RAIDz2 hurt performance? should it be 10 or 12 instead?

So I'm going to try it with RAIDz3 so it doesn't waste space. Its still defaulting to ashift=9 (using napp-it to make the pool). I tried just to do -o ashift=12 and make the pool at the command line but apparently the -o ashift=12 is a freeBSD thing, not a OI thing. My speeds with the 11...
  5. B

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10627065/2013-06-11%2006_48_45-OI_SAN1%20__%20network%20%26%20nas%20appliance.png There is the current performance of the 11 disk pool of 2TB drives (2 512b, 9 4k drives). So I should just turn it into raidz3 so as to not waste so much space on little files...
  6. B

I'm not concerned about performance while the pools rebuilding, again its just for archiving. So if I want things to all align and not waste lots of space I need to go with Z3 at 11 disks or Z2 at 10 disks? As for the 512b VS 4k think, 2 of the drives are 512b the rest are all 4K drives. Yet...
  7. B

I saw some mention of N+P and block/stripe sizes in regards to ZFS while searching for other info. Right now my plan was to use all 11 2TB drives I have in a large RAIDz2 pool and keep a 3TB drive I have as a hot spare or just as a spare if needed. If I'm going to seriously gimp the system...
  8. B

help with LSI 3801e (1068e) only seeing 1st drive on each port!?

I wanted to answer this so hopefully someone who runs into a similar problem can find it through google. It was a firmware problem on the cards themselves. With their old FW they were only showing one drive per 8088 port, regardless how many drives were actually there. Updating the bios/FW...
  9. B

help with LSI 3801e (1068e) only seeing 1st drive on each port!?

I have two LSI 3801e 8 external port (2 8088) PCIe cards in my new ESX machine I'm building. I am running the 8088 cables into a homemade DAS out of a 4u case. Right now I am only seeing whatever drive ends up on the first sata cable that breaks out of the 8087 4-lane SAS cable. Does...
  10. B

Cisco Switch Pricing

I agree. if you dont need/want the 10gbe ports i cant help but reccommend the dell 2716/2724/etc series. totally silent, managed, and works amazingly well. I have one that hasnt been rebooted or power cycled for a couple of years. compare that to the worthless consumer router/switches that...
  11. B

Wanted: 24-bay c6100

Just to help out a bit I'd like to remind people that if you sell something on ebay and use paypal to collect your money your average fees come out to 14% of your sale price. So if you wanted, say, 500$ for your c6100 (I have no idea, I'm just tossing a random number out there) then you could...
  12. B

IB Question

Well when I did a point to point using various IB cards I ran the subnet manager on my windows client. No problems at all. You could probably run it inside a VM and run two copies on the same VM if you put each nic in a different virtual switch. I got 550MB/s copying from a SSD to a RAMdrive...
  13. B

Take a look and help me verify my open indiana ZFS is ready for "production"?

So here is two questions: First: Can I remove a vdev mirror set from the pool and "shrink" it or do I need to pull the data off it, destroy the pool and recreate it with 6 drives instead of 8? What kind of performance hit would I likely see dropping those two disks? My thought process here...
  14. B

ZFS stripped mirror set degraded. Disk really bad? how to check?

I ended up (on porpose) swapping the two drives to different bays to make sure there isn't a backplane or cable issue. It resilvered c7t16d0 without issues and then I did a "zpool offline" on the "bad" disk, put it back into the slot c7t16d0 used to be and then "cleared" it and then "replaced"...
  15. B

I pulled c7t16d0 apparently. ;) It was a different mirror so now that RAID10 has taken 2 "hits". lol I'm impressed. Going to have to dig around and see if it makes sense (it shows me pulling drive 3 from top to bottom and I thought I pulled either 4 or 8 based on how I have it cabled...)
  16. B

I read that the device name is based on the card/port/drive. so if it was the last drive number in the list like it was its likely that its on the last controller card on the last SAS port plugged into the last sata cable.... right? So I yanked it. <LOL> It still says the device is there so...
  17. B

So I can get these two bits of information but I can't put them together to figure out which drive "failed". This is starting to get annoying (you'd figure it would be a quick google search to find a command to match a failed drive to an actual *REAL PHYSICAL DRIVE* but apparently its not. Not...
  18. B

I did a scrub and it found zero errors. I'll chk smart too. here is another output: - with Smartinfo if available (works mostly only with SAS Controller) id diskcap pool vdev state error smart_model smart_type smart_health temp smart_sn smart_check...
  19. B

Take a look and help me verify my open indiana ZFS is ready for "production"?

Thanks again Gea!!! I have a new problem, the mirror is in a degraded state because of "to many errors". How do I check it and make sure the drive is really bad (or good). Smart says its ok.. I posted the question in a new thread here: Failed drive because of "to many errors"? Is it really...
  20. B

Here is what its reporting. And btw, I discovered this thanks to a neat little app on my android phone called "ZFS Monitor". Its awesome! NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM raptor10k-RAID10 DEGRADED 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 c7t14d0...