HGST HSH721414AL42M0 14TB SAS 4Kn $88 or less

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Drive price is $78 with $10 shipping (to the US) regardless of quantity. Buyer accepts offers, but I am not buying this deal as I don't need drives right now. Picture of label does not show any OEM branding.

These are host-managed SMR drives. Thanks to @frameshift18, I looked deeper into the specs.

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
So what happens when these are used in a normal sas usage without an smr aware host? Back to manually using the trim command? Or just poor performance?

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
So what happens when these are used in a normal sas usage without an smr aware host? Back to manually using the trim command? Or just poor performance?
i would expect a wall of errors before even done formatting if you dont have have as a minimum a hba that supports hm-smr.

Beyond that btrfs has stable support now i belive.
I do not have much experience using them outside of a work setting with "our" proprietary setup.

Reactions: Samir

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
These drives are picky, They will only work with modern HBAs. Some disk enclosures won't work also. They are only supported by unix with btrfs and f2fs and both of them are pain to use due to bugs which could lead to data loss.

source; I am using these drives 24/7

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
After reading this thread I started thinking about about using a few SMR disks for storage of read-mostly data, e.g. for video file storage for jellyfin. Do modern mainline linux kernels know how to deal with host-managed disks, or does it require manual patching?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
You do not need a hba that supports host managed smr, it should work with any controller. All you need to know is here: Overview | Zoned Storage
Thank you for the link--nice quick read that answers everything. :)
Do modern mainline linux kernels know how to deal with host-managed disks, or does it require manual patching?
The article linked above was really great about answering this thoroughly. :)

Reactions: piranha32 and izx

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
These drives are picky, They will only work with modern HBAs. Some disk enclosures won't work also. They are only supported by unix with btrfs and f2fs and both of them are pain to use due to bugs which could lead to data loss.

source; I am using these drives 24/7
Define "modern". Are bugs in btrfs really that common?

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
After reading this thread I started thinking about about using a few SMR disks for storage of read-mostly data, e.g. for video file storage for jellyfin. Do modern mainline linux kernels know how to deal with host-managed disks, or does it require manual patching?
My read was anything over 5.10.X had support in-kernel. I did read that you might need to compile it in though.

Reactions: Samir and piranha32