Minisforum MS-01 Review The 10GbE with PCIe Slot Mini PC

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
So I just want to make sure I got it right...

It is what it is - but it isn't?
It is raptor lake IN NAME ONLY
the only thing Raptor lake H shares with Raptor lake S is the generation
And as for 13400 to 13600 non K? All of them are based on Alder lake-S dies. So is 13100 and 14100

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
It is raptor lake IN NAME ONLY
the only thing Raptor lake H shares with Raptor lake S is the generation
And as for 13400 to 13600 non K? All of them are based on Alder lake-S dies. So is 13100 and 14100
It's not like there can't be differences between the chips, just because one is somewhat (or closely) based on another. At what point do we stop saying "It's based on the Intel 4004"? If Intel decided to give it a new name - they themselves decide that and "poof" it becomes a Raptor Lake H. Not an Alder Lake H.

Now we are on to other topics, diverged past the topic of the MS-0's 13900H and the (verifiable) differences with the slightly older, slightly slower 12900H.

There are differences and the 13900H is faster than the 12900H.
  • Does that mean people shouldn't be happy with either CPU? Nope.
  • Does it mean that MF failed in some way? Nope.
  • Does it mean that the 13900H is worth more money than the 12900H? I don't really think so - unless max speed and big.LITTLE tech are important to you and your needs.

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
It's not like there can't be differences between the chips, just because one is somewhat (or closely) based on another. At what point do we stop saying "It's based on the Intel 4004"? If Intel decided to give it a new name - they themselves decide that and "poof" it becomes a Raptor Lake H. Not an Alder Lake H.

Now we are on to other topics, diverged past the topic of the MS-0's 13900H and the (verifiable) differences with the slightly older, slightly slower 12900H.

There are differences and the 13900H is faster than the 12900H.
  • Does that mean people shouldn't be happy with either CPU? Nope.
  • Does it mean that MF failed in some way? Nope.
  • Does it mean that the 13900H is worth more money than the 12900H? I don't really think so - unless max speed and big.LITTLE tech are important to you and your needs.
Huh? What the hell are blabbering on about?

Tich77

Mar 28, 2024
The world is their oyster. They are making every choice from chassis to screw size, and RAM to CPU. 13900HX has a 55watt power consumption - not sure that qualifies as "high". For me, yes - socket it. ;)
I like being able to replace a CPU - but my wife thinks I'm a silly little man.
And we had every choice to buy it, or not, knowing the size, dimensions, slot, CPU etc etc

Had they used a socketed CPU, a short chassis, ECC RAM, larger case for full size GPU... it would be an SFF PC not a mini PC.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
And we had every choice to buy it, or not, knowing the size, dimensions, slot, CPU etc etc

Had they used a socketed CPU, a short chassis, ECC RAM, larger case for full size GPU... it would be an SFF PC not a mini PC.
I'm directly comparing this with Dell/HP/Lenovo 1L PCs. In theory those can be upgraded, but in practice (here in NZ) the price of bare upgrade CPUs to fit these is greater than just buying a newer generation model which has the improved performance + newer components.

It's insane how much better Minisforum MS-01 expansion choices are vs the HP Mini G9 I also use currently. The G9 has a gimped onboard DisplayPort without HBR3 so it can't drive high resolution or high refresh rate monitors, and it has a single 1Gb NIC. The 2nd flex-io port supports nothing useful, so you have to choose between expanding with decent networking or a decent display output.

Even the worst MS-01 has a great laptop CPU which is competitive with any socketed chip you can shoehorn into a 1L PC, insanely great IO, and the ability to use a variety of low wattage PCIe cards. If you think the card compatibility/cooling is poor then just try using the Lenovo Tiny's PCIe slot.

Last edited:

Tich77

Mar 28, 2024
Any one bean able to access BIOS on startup, and if so, what key combination? Ive tried the usual suspects - Del, Ins, F2, F12. Now either its something different, its disabled... or my unit is borked!

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Exact same besides:
Most of which makes zero difference in the real world, even if the numbers were accurate.
12% faster single-core
23% faster multi-core
Any reputable benchmark I can find shows about 1-3% single core and 3-5% multi-core difference between the 13900H and the 12900H.

knewt

Feb 27, 2024
Most of which makes zero difference in the real world, even if the numbers were accurate.

Any reputable benchmark I can find shows about 1-3% single core and 3-5% multi-core difference between the 13900H and the 12900H.
IIRC I think I did see one specific benchmark out of a long list of them that had something in that 10-20% range, but all the others were lower, and the overall on that page (can't remember what site) was in the 3-5% range I believe. So yeah, unless you're doing very specific stuff not gonna see those very high numbers!

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
IIRC I think I did see one specific benchmark out of a long list of them that had something in that 10-20% range, but all the others were lower, and the overall on that page (can't remember what site) was in the 3-5% range I believe. So yeah, unless you're doing very specific stuff not gonna see those very high numbers!
When both are throttling to 45W (which they would be, PL2 is not just a suggestion and only way to get decent performance) , the differences are a wash

Fwiler

Sep 5, 2017
That's because it isn't the CPU itself, if you looked hard enough upper tier Z series boards have bifurcation without CPU support either, because there are chips on the board to handle bifurcation.
However, they will not split into 4 x4. The root hubs minimum splits into x8/x8

OTOH if you are talking about X299... that's not consumer
YOU said " Intel anything less than server or even Xeon E never supported bifurcation and it absolutely won't here "

And I am correcting you. The link I gave is just Asus but there are 100's more consumer motherboards that support bifurcation.

I never said it was the cpu itself. And Z doesn't mean it's upper tier. The Asus matx boards regularly went for $129.
And there were boards that do x8 x8 that weren't Z boards.
And yes many did split into x4 x4 x8 on a x16 slot. I know because I have two motherboards that do it.
So please stop saying it's not possible.

And last, from the horses mouth. " Because of Intel's CPU hardware limit, it is not possible for bifurcation on Alderlake-H CPU "
So it can be the cpu itself causing the limitation, as Alderlake non H can do bifurcation.

Last edited:

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
YOU said " Intel anything less than server or even Xeon E never supported bifurcation and it absolutely won't here "

And I am correcting you. The link I gave is just Asus but there are 100's more consumer motherboards that support bifurcation.

I never said it was the cpu itself. And Z doesn't mean it's upper tier. The Asus matx boards regularly went for $129.
And there were boards that do x8 x8 that weren't Z boards.
And yes many did split into x4 x4 x8 on a x16 slot. I know because I have two motherboards that do it.
So please stop saying it's not possible.

And last, from the horses mouth. " Because of Intel's CPU hardware limit, it is not possible for bifurcation on Alderlake-H CPU "
So it can be the cpu itself causing the limitation, as Alderlake non H can do bifurcation.
It is NOT the CPU itself doing the bifurcation, its the motherboard!

But you think you know everything

knewt

Feb 27, 2024
My 12900 system just arrived :)

Ordered 10-Apr, shipping label created 18-Apr, actually shipped 20-Apr, arrived 29-Apr

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Wow - I order mid-march and just got mine last week.- so a Month wait. Originally I got late May delivery expected.

knewt

Feb 27, 2024
Wow - I order mid-march and just got mine last week.- so a Month wait. Originally I got late May delivery expected.
So it's possible I got bumped up slightly. I was discussing a non-delivery query with them, and at the end I asked if they had an estimate on when my order would be shipped (honestly just after an idea of when it would be), and shortly afterwards the shipping label got created :)

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
So it's possible I got bumped up slightly. I was discussing a non-delivery query with them, and at the end I asked if they had an estimate on when my order would be shipped (honestly just after an idea of when it would be), and shortly afterwards the shipping label got created :)
I worry they are rushing these out the door - cutting corners. From some posts here there seems to be a poor application of thermal paste.

Hey has anyone tested the Wifi connection reliability/speeds? I have the UM970Pro as well - man that Wifi antenna sucks. I bought my UM much later - and they made some supposed improvement - went with plastic cover to improve Wifi strength - and they moved the antenna attachment to the top cover. Even with these changes - the signal is horrible.

I would like a means to add external antennas to these mini PCs to improve signal strength.

knewt

Feb 27, 2024
Bleh. So my ram arrived today, two sticks of Crucial 48GB. Wasn't booting, no matter how long I waited. So tried one at a time, and one of them boots into the bios, but the other just sits there with no video :(