12gen N-series Nas motherboard (topton, cwwk, ... )

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Milchkuh

Mar 30, 2024
I have also received my N305-DC board and wanted to give some hints (and power measurements).

My Hardware:
- N305 CWWK DC board
- 32GB DDR5
- 4TB Lexar 790 nvme ssd
- 2x Western Digital Blue 5TB (connected via JMB585)
- 2x Western Digital WD120EDAZ 12TB (connected via JMB585)
- 1x Seagate Exos X18 (connected via internal Sata Port)
- Powered via Chicony A17-180P4A 19,5V, 180W Brick

I'm running unRAID. When all drives are spun down and the cpu is nearly idle I get about 18W-19W power usage. And of course I cannot get below C3 verified with Powertop 2.15, but it's okay actually.

CWWK told me that there will be 2x 4-pin ATX to 4-pin molex inluded, but the were not and they are currently sending them my way. Because I didn't want to wait till they arrive I made my own adapters with some sata power cables from my corsair psu that I am not using (similar to these: Premium Individually Sleeved SATA Cable, Type 4 (Generation 3) - Black (corsair.com)). I exchanged the 6 pin connector with a 4 pin atx connector that I took from these cables and I am now powering all 5 drives (and I also tried 6 drives) from the two 4 pin ATX ports labeled SATA_PWR1 and 2. The pinout can be found in the Topton N305 listings at AliExpress.

No extra PSU needed, all from one brick. Seems to be running solid, even with all drives in full motion and about 100% CPU.

1711826357913.png

dreamtcs

Mar 13, 2024
I am now powering all 5 drives (and I also tried 6 drives) from the two 4 pin ATX ports labeled SATA_PWR1 and 2. The pinout can be found in the Topton N305 listings at AliExpress.
Word of warning, don’t do that. There are some replies in this thread about hdd being fried from connecting too much(just 3) hdd to the square 4pin atx to sata hdd.

Last edited:

dreamtcs

Mar 13, 2024

Milchkuh

Mar 30, 2024
Thanks for the warning. I also read that post (and the whole thread for the past week) but I assume that he just took some random 12V ATX cable that seemed to fit. I couldn't find any cables with the right pinout here in germany, so I made my own as I described in my post above.

The wiring problem was also discussed in this post: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...nas-motherboard-topton-cwwk.42432/post-413523.

His Topton N305 Board comes with one combined sata-pwr/data cable that goes to one small power connector to the board (I think SATA_PWR3 + 4). But that was to short to be used with his case...

And as the board sellers on Ali Express say that these connectors can be used to power hard drive backplanes I assume I am on the safe side. Nothing seems to get overly warm.

dreamtcs

Mar 13, 2024
Thanks for the warning. I also read that post (and the whole thread for the past week) but I assume that he just took some random 12V ATX cable that seemed to fit. I couldn't find any cables with the right pinout here in germany, so I made my own as I described in my post above.

The wiring problem was also discussed in this post: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...nas-motherboard-topton-cwwk.42432/post-413523.

His Topton N305 Board comes with one combined sata-pwr/data cable that goes to one small power connector to the board (I think SATA_PWR3 + 4). But that was to short to be used with his case...

And as the board sellers on Ali Express say that these connectors can be used to power hard drive backplanes I assume I am on the safe side. Nothing seems to get overly warm.
well separation of concerns would be a good thing to apply here, as your hdd cost significantly more than the price of the motherboard.

you might need a decent 18 gauge wire

Ashen

Mar 20, 2024
Received my CWWK-ADLK-NAS-V10 (N100) a couple days ago, to get audio working I ended up using these drivers:

Sound_Realtek_HDA_6.0.9273_FF04_Win1011.zip
Unfortunately this one doesn't work with the BKHD board. I see BKHD have the NIC drivers on their website, but no other drivers.

Dr.FrankenHouse

Dec 11, 2023
Can anybody tell me how to update the bios for the N305? Bios file is on USB Stick already
The procedure is more or less the same:
- Create a bootable usb stick with Ventoy
- Copy the iso file in the empty partition created by Ventoy
- Boot "server" from usb stick
- Select the iso file
- When countdown comes, press any key to stop it
- At this point there is a different from the video (minute 1:50), probably there is a problem in our script: the procedure doesn't start, you have to launch it manually (type 1.nsh and it starts).
- Wait the end
- When prompt comes back, type "reset"
- Remove the usb stick during reboot
- Enjoy! ;)

DonTryThisAtHome

Apr 3, 2024
About BIOS... I'm wondering if the BIOS updates are compatible between all these brands (topton, cwwk etc).
I can't find other info, but I found only this page where CWWK push BIOS update here: https://pan.x86pi.cn

I've the i3-n305 of Topton, can anyone tell me which of these bios is the right one?

Dr.FrankenHouse

Dec 11, 2023
About BIOS... I'm wondering if the BIOS updates are compatible between all these brands (topton, cwwk etc).
I can't find other info, but I found only this page where CWWK push BIOS update here: https://pan.x86pi.cn

I've the i3-n305 of Topton, can anyone tell me which of these bios is the right one?
I have the same and I've updated using this one
To be sure: what is the "Project Version" in your bios main page?

Pokepunch

Mar 22, 2024
Does anybody know what the white 4 pin connector is on the CWWK N305 DC motherboard? I'm guessing it can be used in place of the DC connector but does anyone know?

majoracehole

Apr 8, 2024
Does anybody know what the white 4 pin connector is on the CWWK N305 DC motherboard? I'm guessing it can be used in place of the DC connector but does anyone know?
I suspect it can be but cannot say 100% not having actually tried

I received the board this week and have started doing a little poking around with a multimeter...
- the two black 4 pin sockets give 12v and 5v and using the 4pin to SATA cable provided SATA drives work nicely
- whereas the white 4 pin socket just gives 19v which matches what is being provided by the DC power supply, hence I think either socket can be used as an input

Reactions: Pokepunch

Gamber

Dec 29, 2023
Crazy board CW-ADLN-NAS-V10.
Can't disable - Secure Boot mode, all optiobs inactive.
NVME drive in Security Frozen.
I try clear CMOS, reflash bios, set Admin and User password, nothing help.
May be anyone know how resolve this problem?SecureBoot.png
SecFrozen.png

Steffe

Feb 7, 2023
Updated my N305 non dc Cwwk bios to 2024.03.05. Went smoothly.

I noticed the following changes:
- boot beeping sound shortend
- fixed screen display on boot. Now I have picture at all time
- enabled c-states and observed proxmox has starting issue every second time, but maybe due to pve 8.0 and 8.1 hangs on boot. Did not test this intensively and I don't see a change in power consumption, but I am also running firewall and multiple containers.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeutronWave

akdm

Apr 14, 2024
Hello everyone,
I've read through the 19 pages but I cannot find the answers I'm looking for.
I have a BKHD N100 (BKHD-1264-NAS) with NVMe 256GB for the OS and a NVMe 2TB for data, thus I'm not using the builtin JMB585. Do you know how I can disable it from the BIOS to save even more some watts? Also, what do you guys do to reduce the power consumption at maximum?

I am using a Mini-Box picoPSU 80W (+ a 4 pins 12V CPU power cable I made myself, I forgot to order it and didn't want to pay the shipping fees for a 1€ cable :rolleyes:) and the server is idling at about 13.8W with 14 docker containers on Debian 12.5. A part from disabling the audio interface, I didn't change anything, or at least none that could change the power draw.
Using `power-top` autotune freezes the system at some point, maybe because of the I226-V. Manually changing the values let me get an insignificant 0.2W less.

my containers:

Dr.FrankenHouse

Dec 11, 2023
Updated my N305 non dc Cwwk bios to 2024.03.05. Went smoothly.

I noticed the following changes:
- boot beeping sound shortend
- fixed screen display on boot. Now I have picture at all time
- enabled c-states and observed proxmox has starting issue every second time, but maybe due to pve 8.0 and 8.1 hangs on boot. Did not test this intensively and I don't see a change in power consumption, but I am also running firewall and multiple containers.
Hi,
do you have resolved the proxmox issue? I'm stuck on "'loading initial ramdisk'" (PVE 8.1).

EDIT: after a bios reset proxmox is started without problem (I rebooted 2/3 times and make all settings in bios)

Last edited: