Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
I'd say there's none.
You can even get an ANX 7150-C12P and I'm sure it's just a normal Brocade/Ruckus with a different enclosure.
Yeah right on. I would also assume no difference but you know what happens when you assume. It's all too familiar of a story when a company cuts costs by using crappier parts or components but sell the same product as if there's nothing different.

TonyArrr

Sep 22, 2021
Straylia
I was looking at replacing my ICX6610 with something that uses less power since I do not use QSFP. I am debating some ICX7150(-24P and -C12P) but read that the power supply for these models is terrible and burns up. Anyone happen to know any truths around that statement? I have 3 POE devices in one location and 12 in another all interconnected by SFP+.

Anyone happen to know power supply parts if the PSU craps itself. i searched the thread and could not find anything.
I’ve been rocking a 7150-24, 7150-C12P and a 7250-24P for about 9 months now and have no complaints. That being said, my AP is my only PoE device and it’s off the 7250.

I did see a patch where people were having 7150-C12Ps PSU die a few years back in this thread, and there was discussion around how to repair them, I’ll see if I can find it again.
Mine is in an enclosed space so I sat a small AC Infinity USB fan on top of it to move the air around a bit and keep it from cooking which keeps the temp readouts quite acceptable.

Reactions: BoGs

shremi

Jun 29, 2020

RoachedCoach

Feb 4, 2020
I think its easier to just make your own cable with a keystone and a spare USB cable.

Anyways for the guys with the ICX7250s how can i upgrade to the v9 firmware ? I want a pretty webui since someone else is going to manage those switches.
Pull whatever version of V9 you want from here (IMO they'll have to pry 8 from my cold dead hands):

Follow these instructions to update:

shremi

Jun 29, 2020
(IMO they'll have to pry 8 from my cold dead hands):
Yeah i know still rocking my 6450 @ home , but since it will be managed for someone else they do prefer a webui , the main reason was because they need a lot of ports for POE (phones and cameras)

Edit : i ended up using the tftp system-manifest command to update this 2 switches

Anyone knows why on V9 the user root is not available anymore ?

Last edited:

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Yeah i know still rocking my 6450 @ home , but since it will be managed for someone else they do prefer a webui , the main reason was because they need a lot of ports for POE (phones and cameras)

Edit : i ended up using the tftp system-manifest command to update this 2 switches

There are a *TON* of changes between 08 and 09; if you haven't read the Upgrade/Release Notes, you should do that before going much further.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019

If you're not using the latest and greatest switches from Ruckus (8200 / 7650 / 7850 etc) just stick to 08.xx instead of 09.xx or 10.xx. The newer OS releases are super SLOW on older hardware

Gerhen

Nov 29, 2023
Just because something is newer doesn't necessarily mean it's better. There's a reason why the "docs" still recommend 8.x.
Several posts knocking 9.x so thought I’d chime in with a counter example. For me, been running 9.x since late 2023 including 1 or 2 updates since (I forget) and it’s been stable. Configured with the router firmware for the home environment (not a lab): a few vlans with ACLs and 8 PoE devices. I don’t notice any negative performance impact.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Yeah right on. I would also assume no difference but you know what happens when you assume. It's all too familiar of a story when a company cuts costs by using crappier parts or components but sell the same product as if there's nothing different.
no difference other than the badge, sticker, and chassis color. commscope/ruckus/brocade makes the ANX-7150 for Access Networks. The gear is actually more expensive than your typical brocade 7150 from the disty channels, same is true for the AP's and other switches too. Switches and AP's look familiar to anyone? Access Networks is used predominantly by home media/automation/smart home companies for high-end custom upscale deployments. The end-user is typically paying the smart home company for support, the smart home company goes to Access Networks for support on the gear NOT Commscope. Access may need to go to commscope for support depending on the issue. heck, if you look at what (at least in the early days) needed to be done in a ruckus multi-ap environment with brocade switches to make a multi SONOS device deployment work reliably then you start to get an inkling of all the other components (and ecosystem integration) that ends up being done. So there is some knowledge required on all of that and it is worth some $$$.

Your typical c-level with the fancy home is not going to sysadmin their own sh*te. The c-level outsources it to said smart home company. As with anything the H/W margin is not that great (though better than consumer/commidity) but the margin on the support - I think a lot of us know that's where long term revenue and higher margin can come from. The margin on the Access gear though is pretty phenomenal (to someone at some point though) given the mark-ups.

For example: I had to review a quote from one such smart home company 2 years ago - basically talking about a couple of ANX7250-24p's, 4 A710's, and a sphos XG230. $29K USD installed with 3 years of support baked in on the network. Used bay pricing then uhmmmm (estimates on high side), $1k for the ICX7250's, 4xR710 you get another $1K, $500 for a used XG230, $2.5K, +5 hours to research what you need to do, get your config in order, bump firmwares, configure, and rock and roll with a serious reduction in cost. Now, not a fair comparison, used vs. new, self insure on the hardware bits, and hourly for support. said customer was not your typical C-level type which is why I ended up doing the review for them and they went that route.

There is a market for the Access products - a very premium market and IMO not necessarily a scam if you are truly getting the full white glove service for your fancy shmancy smart home ecologies.

It is definitely premium though.

that black chassis on the 7150 though - sweeeeeetttttt!

Reactions: blunden and Koop

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I agree with what you wrote but I personally feel many C-level types are difficult to deal with and often have unrealistic expectations so I would want a "pain-in-the-ass" fee to service those types of customers. A director once told me he reported to some VP and it was "constant "I need this yesterday, could you quickly get XYZ to me?" 24x7."

• Haha
Reactions: itronin

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
lol @itronin I think you wanted to get something off your chest in your post I think. :p

Appreciate your insight. I've personally known of Brocade for years as they were always common when I was doing doing work related to storage. Plenty of SAN switches. Never messed with em too much directly though. I feel like I hadn't never heard of Ruckus before seeing all the info here but I've been far removed from a hands on tech role for a while. Glad they handle the tech well.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
lol @itronin I think you wanted to get something off your chest in your post I think. :p
perhaps. maybe I could have just said:

AXN switches and AP's are just brocade and ruckus, marked up and bundled with support from fancy schmancy resellers and sold to wealthy folks who can afford it.

But in all honesty as I think you've seen before I do tend to pontificate from time to time so maybe I used your comment as an excuse to reply and distract myself from performing my day job. o_O Though if pontificating were my day job I might be sitting on my throne and hanging out on Reddit instead of here. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: blunden and Koop