ARISTA DCS-7050SX-64 R going for US$125.00 | EBay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I have the 40g version of 7050 family, they can be pretty noisy but they're okay with 30% speed(still a little bit of high frequency)
Hard for me to compare now as i moved everything in the rack in a dedicated room so i don't know how loud it is anymore. Everything is super loud there.
idr, i think it was "environment fan override 30" or something among the lines, autocomplete will help you with this
These were ~300 USD half a year ago at their website. Again, from my experience, "dedicated networks" were reliable.

Reactions: ano

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
does the fan control command also control the PSU fans or are those pretty quiet as is?

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
does the fan control command also control the PSU fans or are those pretty quiet as is?
They all comply with the set speed, but PSUs take a little longer to change speed. Otherwise afair it was pretty quiet. I can't distinguish any sounds right now, i can only confirm that my cli shows they all change together when i do fan-speed override.

lamune

Feb 28, 2015
Well now for some thread necromancy, but I think it might be appropriate. These switches are still out there and still a deal

I just got one of these myself. I understand that third party SFP+ are probably not supported by default. I also understand that the old method of putting the enable3px file in the root of the flash doesn't enable them either. Is there a known workaround aside from knowing someone at Arista who might give you an unlock code?

And how do you know if a transceiver is unsupported? I tried one and it shows as errdisabled but I don't know the reason why - it could be something else I guess.

Running 4.28.9M on it, which is the highest version in the 4.28 train I could find in the wild.

lamune

Feb 28, 2015
Here's what I learned. Arista will give you a key to override the module detection if you have a valid support contract, or maybe ask them nicely I guess. The format of this config command is:

service unsupported-transceiver name key

so it would look something like

service unsupported-transceiver sthforums 1a2b3c4d

Since it's a licensed thing probably best to not share it however if you were to search the internet for that command you might find something.

Probably not a bad idea to also add this:

errdisable recovery cause xcvr-unsupported

you also can avoid the need to reboot the switch after entering the commands (and saving them to running-config) by doing this to restart the related service:

bash sudo kill -9 XcvrAgent

If it's done correctly your transceivers will come out of errdisabled

Reactions: linveo and gb00s

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
can you run SoNIC on this switch?, otherwise, are the Arista firmware upgrades freely available?

wifiholic

Mar 27, 2018
can you run SoNIC on this switch?, otherwise, are the Arista firmware upgrades freely available?
EOS images are not publicly available for download without a support contact. There is a thread here, however, where people who are looking for such things can make it known, and…

• Haha
Reactions: fohdeesha

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The price on these sure has gone up since I bought mine.

lamune

Feb 28, 2015
No, SoNIC is not supported on this hardware. It'll boot, but has no drivers for the switch chips on it.