LSI SAS9211-8i sas2flsh error : "Failed to initialize PAL" and unable to boot sas2flsh.efi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nicolas_thg

Feb 9, 2024
I am trying to flash a SAS9211-8i card and in DOS using sas2flsh and I get the following error : "ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program"

After reading this documentation and other forum threads, I understood that I need an older motherboard or at least one that supports BIOS32 service directory feature. Otherwise, I have to try booting into the sas2flsh.efi file which I tried but without success. I see the efi boot entry on the motherboard but when I boot to it, nothing happens and it just takes me back to the boot menu.

Has anyone had more success with this? How do I know if a motherboard supports BIOS32 service directory feature?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
No, you don't boot sas2flash.efi. You boot into a UEFI shell and run the sas2flash.efi application.

Reactions: BLinux

nicolas_thg

Feb 9, 2024
Thanks, I clearly misunderstood how to do it and am currently reading this exhaustive forum post about crossflashing HBA cards on the TrueNAS forum which is going to help a lot and may be helpful to anyone stumbling upon this thread.

As for the efi shell, not having a US keyboard makes it very difficult to use (I couldn't even type "-" at all with a belgian keyboard but I may have to search further). So I went with a SuperMicro X8DTU-F motherboard and the DOS command sas2flsh worked fine.

We'll probably need to flash more cards in the future so perhaps we should get a US keyboard to be able to run that command on newer motherboards using the efi shell..

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Or just print out the layout to reference. Slightly different key layouts between US and European keyboards, but nothing too major.

nicolas_thg

Feb 9, 2024
I had a layout next to me but the position of the "-" gave something else, I don't remember but no matter how hard I tried with the reference, it wouldn't work for that character.