New Micron 7400 PRO 7.68TB NVMe U.3 (7mm) Non-SED Enterprise SSD - $349

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
out of stock again as I tried to enter/register address, down to 1 drive.. which is not that interesting, need 8 identical :|

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Man you guys are greedy ...

I mean I get it, but on the other hand this is kinda upsetting.
I know we talked about it back and forth a dozen times already with no real solution, but its frustrating over and over again.
I feel you on this when they are being bought for resale, as I get equally upset if not more as deals like these are in the retail market for end users, not resellers.

But for individual use...well, I can only envy someone that has the gear to handle 50 of these. :D

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I never resell (not until years or cooler stuff) I consuuuume! and donate to misc projects (like ceph)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
But for individual use...well, I can only envy someone that has the gear to handle 50 of these. :D
If someone really buys 50 nvme for personal use then good for him. O/c someone with that amount of cash probably wouldnt need to get a great deal, but fine.
Just in the end I think we can count those individuals with our fingers.
All the others buy for profit, or business.And even that is fine if there is plenty of supply, but every buyer of 40 takes 10 people's opportunity to buy 4.

Just sayin, leave some for the other folks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If someone really buys 50 nvme for personal use then good for him. O/c someone with that amount of cash probably wouldnt need to get a great deal, but fine.
Just in the end I think we can count those individuals with our fingers.
All the others buy for profit, or business.And even that is fine if there is plenty of supply, but every buyer of 40 takes 10 people's opportunity to buy 4.

Just sayin, leave some for the other folks.
It's resellers I have a problem with because I've done that in another vertical (auto parts), and it's all about profit so there will be nothing left since 'profit'. Usually the effort to seek out alternate supply for inventory doesn't make cents since it's such a time sink where one can be handling the day to day of the business that's making money, but there are times when it does, and then that deprives the original audience for these deals--the same audience that resellers sell to. It's a big conflict of interest for us consumers to allow resellers to buy a whole lot out from under us and then try to sell them to us--hell, we could do that amongst ourselves if we wanted to...my few cents...

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Yeah not a reseller and have a few 24 bay systems needing drives. Didn't even get the discount either.

Figured as it's direct they will restock it for others as well.

Resellers those piss me off also as legit users always get the short stick.

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
This was posted on r/DataHoarder etc. too. It would be great if STH members were somehow entitled to cheap drives but :D

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I proposed @Patrick a one-time 10 or 25 US$ fee to join and make specific areas visible to payers only. But that was like a year ago and never received a reply. I thought that would kill the spam, fraudsters and 'funding' calls immediately. But but .... ;). In terms of @Rand__ proposal and as we advance, people will just become worse in terms of selfishness etc.

Reactions: vvkvvk and Samir

ano

Nov 7, 2022
but will it work? Im guessing the ones with enough money to buy 24 drives on something like this, surely has money for whatever tier/level it is.

the guy posting it helping us? probably not

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I think making the "Great Deals" forum visible to registered members only would be a good start. This was suggested here before.
i dont understand how that would help tho.
Aslong as users can register, ask/pay for access etc you would not be keeping them out.

i also know multiple among the most active in the "great deals" section that does reselling to some degree.
Not sure if throwing them out is progress, as they are already sharing deals also.

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
Market arbitrage cannot be prevented without denying access to the market for all parties. The other item being that there are plenty of non-StH people who saw this somewhere else. You can't hide eBay.

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
The idea of making the forum private to members is about community building, not preventing arbitrage, though. A lot of posters come here to share deals with a community of like-minded individuals. Registration nudges towards more active participation, but doesn't force it. Trying to lock out resellers is a cat-and-mouse game, and also the community might not even want that. Like others have mentioned there are some users here who do reselling on the side but still actively participate in the community. And like you folks said, there are other public places for arbitragers to shift to if they don't want to register here. What's the downside of that happening?

At any rate, I still think it's a good idea. It won't magically solve all the problems, but could inch us towards a tighter-knit community.

EDIT: Also, I am sorry for bringing this up on this thread, potentially derailing it. I am not even sure that resellers "killed" this deal: I only grabbed 4 because I am not made of money, but even for a home NAS it's not inconceivable that a lot of us here are running with at least 12 or 16 disks. The folks who said they bought 24, I am not immediately thinking will be reselling them.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I have a project, I want 24x u.2

Im stillcollecting drives, not quite there :)

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
What's the downside of that happening?
i suppose the downside is lowered activity in the Great Deals section?
When wanting to lock out some of the active posters.

But its a theoretical downside i suppose, it would not actualy change anything.
This "problem" is as old as forums are, there is no good (actualy working) solution that does not come with too many downsides for the rest also.

Last edited: