EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Just slam the door really really hard and it'll fit, trust me. I'm not an IT professional but I played one on TV and I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night so everything will be fine.

All joking aside, that sucks. Mine should barely fit and if it's too close to call, I can move my front rails out a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
Just slam the door really really hard and it'll fit, trust me. I'm not an IT professional but I played one on TV and I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night so everything will be fine.

All joking aside, that sucks. Mine should barely fit and if it's too close to call, I can move my front rails out a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha. :) Alternatively I'll just leave the back door open once I move this to my server room.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Obiwantje

Oct 5, 2016
I keep on seeing this question come back in this thread - the unit WILL NOT run on the US 110V. However - what DOES work (tried that last night) - It will run using a step-up converter. The draw from the 110V outlet was 85W - nothing connected.

PS. when you initially connect the unit to power - it will sound like a tomcat taking off - WOW. It will die down after some 10 seconds or so though and be at an "acceptable" noise level.

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
Do you all remember when I said I had no cables for these systems? I guess that wasn't entirely true, I just found 4 brand new 2 Meter HD (High Density) -Mini-SAS to QSFP+ cables. These are 12gb cables. I opened up one package to look at the ends.

If anyone wants any, I'll let them go for $45 each, I think that's about half the regular rate and free ground shipping in the US.

Attachments

Reactions: Patrick

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Do you all remember when I said I had no cables for these systems? I guess that wasn't entirely true, I just found 4 brand new 2 Meter HD (High Density) -Mini-SAS to QSFP+ cables. These are 12gb cables. I opened up one package to look at the ends.

If anyone wants any, I'll let them go for $45 each, I think that's about half the regular rate and free ground shipping in the US.
I'll take them. :)

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I'm trying to figue out the cabling, what do i need to get 60 SATA HDDs connected?
This and?
Data Storage Cables, p/n C5697-1M: Mini SAS - QSFP+, 1M, 28awg, SAS [E

I have 9 of SFF8087 to 4x SATA cables
Internal Mini SAS (SFF-8087) to 4x SATA 7-Pin F Forward Breakout Cable 50CM | eBay

Do i need an expander then?
The hgst has its own built in expander basically. It is part of the backplane design. You just need the 8088 to qsfp+ cable along with a sas card. Sounds like you have an internal sas card. That connector is a 8087. So you need an adapter card these are usually dual adapters. Run about $20. 8088 to 8087 adapter card.
Internal sas card (8087) ---> 8087 in on adapter card with 8087 to 8087 cable ---> 8088 out on adapter card --> 8088 to qsfp+ cable ---> qsfp+ port on hgst.
For both links you would do this x2. I found it easier to get external sas card. The newer external sas cards appear to only use the 8644 type hd mini-sas connectors. You can get a 8644 to qsfp+ cable directly.

Last edited:
Reactions: denywinarto

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Dell SAS Controller Compellent SC8000 4-port Host Bus Adapter H3-25553-01A TFJRW
May be a candidate if some one is looking for external option. These do need ample airflow as they have 2x 2308 chips
Yes im running one of these cards with updated IT firmware. It is only a 6gb speed though. Ext 12gb goes for over $100 for 2 ports. Unless you have a lot of airflow you'll need a fan blowing directly on the heatsink. Without a fan/high airspeed the card gets sizzling hot and drops all drives offline under decent load and required reboot to come back up. I wired up a fan that blows directly on heatsink and have not had another issue

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
The hgst has its own built in expander basically. It is part of the backplane design. You just need the 8088 to qsfp+ cable along with a sas card. Sounds like you have an internal sas card. That connector is a 8087. So you need an adapter card these are usually dual adapters. Run about $20. 8088 to 8087 adapter card.
Internal sas card (8087) ---> 8087 in on adapter card with 8087 to 8087 cable ---> 8088 out on adapter card --> 8088 to qsfp+ cable ---> qsfp+ port on hgst.
For both links you would do this x2. I found it easier to get external sas card. The newer external sas cards appear to only use the 8644 type hd mini-sas connectors. You can get a 8644 to qsfp+ cable directly.
I'm using IBM m1015 + HP SAS Expander on my current server..
From a post earlier in this thread i read It has 2 expander/controllers in it, which have 2 ports each.
So can i use 2x HP SAS expander (max 32 disks each)?

HGST port 1 --> qsfp+ to 8088 cable --> HP SAS expander --> 8087 to 4x SATA -->30 SATA disks
HGST port 2 --> qsfp+ to 8088 cable --> HP SAS expander --> 8087 to 4x SATA --> 30 SATA disks

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I'm using IBM m1015 + HP SAS Expander on my current server..
From a post earlier in this thread i read It has 2 expander/controllers in it, which have 2 ports each.
So can i use 2x HP SAS expander (max 32 disks each)?

HGST port 1 --> qsfp+ to 8088 cable --> HP SAS expander --> 8087 to 4x SATA -->30 SATA disks
HGST port 2 --> qsfp+ to 8088 cable --> HP SAS expander --> 8087 to 4x SATA --> 30 SATA disks
Hgst has two qsfp+ ports on each side. Yes you can daisy chain off it as you want to do. Should be a drive limit of hundreds supported if you are using IT firmware flash with sas card. So after you have successfully connected up the hgst 60 bay to sas card, you could then continue on as you specified above using available qsfp+ ports into an expander(s) by daisy chaining and attach a ton more drives

Addendum: you'd probably really need a 12gb sas card to push enough bandwidth for all those drives. Not sure the hp expanders support 12gb but it would be good to have the fatter pipe out into the 60 drive hgst layer. Especially if using ssds at all or a large striped drive pool pushing huge bandwidth.

Last edited:

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Reactions: carpenike

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
No that is a 120v cord. An L6-20p to C19 is an example of a 220-240v cord. Basically figure out amperage needs, then pick your 240v socket, then buy the correct plug for it into a C19 end
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Are these controller Active/Active? Would it make sense for 2 x hba's, with one connection to each controller, or what is the recommended method of using both controllers?