Recent content by vv111y

1. vv111y

Canada [WTB] 3X e5-2690v2 or 2695v2

I offered this seller 3x $75CAD/cpu ($58.50USD), and he came back with $80CAD/cpu ($62.40USD). Sounds pretty good? link
  2. vv111y

Canada [WTB] 3X e5-2690v2 or 2695v2

I see several on ebay with an additional designation of "SR1BA" does that mean anything? Any issues with engineering samples out there? Anyone in the US able to ship to Canada? Thanks EDIT: updated title, looking for 3 now, either model
  3. vv111y

How significant of an issue is cable compatibility for 10gb and up?

Thanks, I'm leaning towards that. Some opinions here and here are that the increased latency of AOC vs DAC is not something I need to be concerned about. I was concerned since I'm using this for remote desktop and that could have affected responsiveness. A Mellanox rep instructed me to only...
  4. vv111y

How significant of an issue is cable compatibility for 10gb and up?

I'm new to this and these are not cheap so I don't want to make a mistake. For my particular case, here and here are posts with relevant context in a hot deals thread.
  5. vv111y

Mellanox ConnectX 3 VPI (MCX354A-FCBT) HP OEM but with Mellanox OEM Firmware - 40 USD each

how about this cable? 37-1419-01 Cisco QSFP-H40G-ACU10M 40G QSFP+ Active Direct Copper Cable 33 feet $41.35 I just want to know that it will work
  6. vv111y

Mellanox ConnectX 3 VPI (MCX354A-FCBT) HP OEM but with Mellanox OEM Firmware - 40 USD each

cabling 15m $65+$13.61sh NEW Mellanox MC2206310-015 15 Meter 40GB 40 Gb QSFP to QSFP AOC Fiber Cable option 2: C2G 40GBase-CU QSFP+ 10gb 40gb Active Direct Attach Cable DAC Twinax 10m 30ft (qsfp+ work with qfsp?) looks like the ends cannot be removed. will have to do some work in hard to...
  7. vv111y

As of today they are still selling. This seems like the best deal for high speed nics. Just to confirm: this card provides 40gbe for tcp/ip traffic? Next question is cabling: I need ~10m (32') and this goes through some tight framing so the bulky sfp ends will be a problem. Any recommendations...
  8. vv111y

Any value in Mellanox InfiniHost III Ex MHGA28-XTC Rev 4A for IPoIB?

I was reading about IPoIB, which I probably need. Looks like a lot of performance is lost. This seems to be too much trouble to be worth it. Now the question is what are good nics and deals. I guess I should ask in great deals sub.
  9. vv111y

Any value in Mellanox InfiniHost III Ex MHGA28-XTC Rev 4A for IPoIB?

I have these old cards and I know almost nothing about infiniband. Dual ports and 20gb/s, not sure if that is per port or not. Use case is for remote desktop and file sharing between workstation and gpu server about 11meters apart. Workstation is arch linux and likely a debian based OS for the...
  10. vv111y

Deep Learning Reference

Since it's programming and not theory the first easy choice is fast.ai
  11. vv111y

[FS][VA] Summer Garage Cleaning (3200 DDR4 32GB, M.2 nvme, etc.) Thread

I would be interested, but now that the border is closed, I would not be able to get over to pick up the delivery in NY. If you could ship to Canada that would be nice...
  12. vv111y

FS: NVME, SSD, CPUs

Are these still for sale? I don't know much about nvme. I have an AsRock X79 Extreme6 board, will either work as a system drive? That is how I will use them. Any idea how much life is left in them? How long can I expect them to go? Thanks.
  13. vv111y

1T transistors, petabits of bandwidth, 18GB of L1 memory (sram) AI chip

Impressive. I wonder how long will it take until something like this comes down to a decent price?
  14. vv111y

Suggestions for best 1080 TI for ML

I would have liked to get 1080ti's as they are in my budget and I don't need the absolute fastest. But the problem is the RAM. The 2080ti's can work with fp16 effectively doubling to 22gb RAM. That's the bigger bottleneck. I hope you're right @T_Minus, they are expensive fwiw I am looking at...