Any value in Mellanox InfiniHost III Ex MHGA28-XTC Rev 4A for IPoIB?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vv111y

May 6, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I have these old cards and I know almost nothing about infiniband. Dual ports and 20gb/s, not sure if that is per port or not.
Use case is for remote desktop and file sharing between workstation and gpu server about 11meters apart.
Workstation is arch linux and likely a debian based OS for the gpu server (although if other distros have the same package availability then that is flexible).
I wonder if it is worth the effort or whether I should instead get a couple of 10gbe nics, sell these, and be done with it?
Also, if I should get 10gbe nics, can anyone recommend good deals/sellers on ebay to get them? I'm Located in Canada.

Thanks

necr

Dec 27, 2017
Woah, PCIe Gen.1, as you have Arch I believe you can make it work with rdma-core. SDR/DDR cables are damn ugly and cant be reused with modern cards. If something goes wrong I’d dump these and buy CX5s.

vv111y

May 6, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I was reading about IPoIB, which I probably need. Looks like a lot of performance is lost. This seems to be too much trouble to be worth it.
Now the question is what are good nics and deals. I guess I should ask in great deals sub.

necr

Dec 27, 2017
IPoIB can get you around 30 Gbit/s on mlx4 without deep tuning(obviously less on DDR) but I just wouldn’t invest my time in these ancient cards unless I had some retro vibes.

Reactions: vv111y