Recent content by trippehh

1. T

Intel Atom C3758 Benchmarks and Review An 8-Core Denverton

I've had this board in production since mid 2018. Other than some initial Linux ixgbe driver bugs related to ipsec offload which Intel solved quickly, it has been solid. Plopped a couple 10G ports in it as well. While it struggles a bit to route a single 10Gbps flow, spread over multiple flows...
  2. T

Arista 7050qx-32s really cheap

If the 7050qx-32s is anything like the 7050qx-32, much of the remaining noise after setting the fans to 30% comes from the power supplies. I modified my power supplies with 40x20mm noctua fans. The power supplies are quite overkilled and are not running hot at all. I also changed the airflow...
  3. T

Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

Anyone managed to get IPv6 routing on Ethernet going on these post-conversion? The switch ASIC seems capable, the OS is, but the CLI is hiding all IPv6 options except for the ones used by the management network interface. Same with both eth-single-switch and vpi-single-switch profiles. "ipv6...
  4. T

Mellanox Connectx-2 NvmeoF

For the PCIe 2.0 ConnectX-2 they do not even have enough PCIe bandwidth to saturate a single port. Still, beats using 10G ports. ;)
  5. T

Technically the cards tend to handle their rated speeds fine (mostly!), it just depends on your use case -- not all use cases require you to copy all the data over PCIe. I have not looked that closely at the marketing materials, but they are probably in the clear if they only advertise link...
  6. T

2.8-3GB/s (~24Gbps) sounds about right for this generation of cards that use PCIe 2.0 with 8 lanes. The ConnectX-3 cards top out at about 6GB/s (~50Gbps) with both 40G ports pushing data using PCIe 3.0 with 8 lanes. PCIe 4.0/5.0 can't come soon enough :)
  7. T

Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-16-XG SFP+ Compatibility Thread

Since the alpha there have been a beta relase and a rc1. Tried the rc1 with regards to the copper port issues yet? FWIW on my two units the copper ports seems to work fine with my particular 10GBase-T link partners. All my Xeon-D related 10Gbase-T issues were fixed in the first alpha.
  8. T

10GBe vs 40GB infiniband eob?

DAC (copper) is considered lower latency than fiber. Electric/optical conversions arent free. 10Gbase-T however loses out due to the way it encodes frames onto the wire. Overall though your other stuff probably adds so much latency that this will not matter at all.
  9. T

10GBe vs 40GB infiniband eob?

Infiniband is nice if you can use any of the RDMA protocols, otherwise it is a mixed bag - IPoIB can be a bit of a pain performance wise. Even getting IPoIB to 10G ethernet-like throughput isn't always possible.
  10. T

Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-16-XG SFP+ Compatibility Thread

There is now a "public" 1.7.1beta1 firmware out for this switch that massively improves SFP+ compatibility and fixes all the 10Gbase-T problems I've seen on it as well. I am now running mine with various old 0.5-3m Cisco, Supermicro and newer generic FS.com DAC cables, as well as some various 1...
  11. T

Ryzen 5/7 as a Xeon E3 Competitor?

E3 competitor? If ECC gets sorted, which I think it probably will, it certainly could replace Xeon E3 and lower end S1 E5 workstations easily. On the server side some vendor would have to come out with some server-grade boards, but the chip seems capable enough. Less likely to happen but would...
  12. T

A warning for people looking at Netgear 10G gear

Pretty much every Broadcom Trident II based switch seems to have had this problem with the Xeon D's built-in NIC, and fixed firmware has just barely started showing up. You'd think Intel / board vendors did some interop testing with one of the most popular switch chipsets before release, but...
  13. T

Q: What Linux distributions support Intel's new X557-AT 10GBASE-T chip?

Update: I finally got off my ass and pestered Zyxel about the X557 + XS1920 interop problem, they sent over a internal firmware build + updated broadcom phy firmware which fixed my 10Gbase-T problems. Now it goes to 10G on every try, without any delay. Yay! I can finally remove my teaming hack...
  14. T

Asus 10G switch @ CES

Did this ever make it to the market? Not seen it anywhere. I kind of wanted one for the TV bench. Having a bunch of 1G devices (htpc, TV, console, other random AV crap..) sharing a very oversubbed 1G uplink is just wrong you know. ;)
  15. T

How much bandwidth have you used over the last month at home? Feb 2016 edition

The previous month? 8.6TB. A couple months ago it went past 10TB. Foreveralone dude household. Gigabit ("1000/1000") residential FTTH on a open access network in Norway. The TV cord is cut. Yes - a lot of streaming. Both inbound and outbound. Netflix in UHD. Thats a lot of data of course, and...