A warning for people looking at Netgear 10G gear

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ancients

Jun 17, 2016
Currently in week two of unsuccessfully interacting with Netgear's support.

I bought one of their new awesome price 10gig 16 port switches (XS716T)

Unfortunately the combo copper/sfp+ ports don't seem to actually negotiate 10gig on the copper side.

I can take the same device and cables that link up on ports 12/13 and put them on ports 15/16 and they no longer get 10gig speeds.

(Example: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet )

According to Netgear tier 3 support one of these pictures also says that port 16 is running at 10gig speeds.... I can't even.

Besides that it seems to be a very effective 14 port 10GBASE-T switch.

Ancients

Jun 17, 2016
Nope. I don't have any SFP+ gear, just piles of CAT6(a). Which is why I went with 10GBASE-T gear.

Any anyone in my area (New Mexico) has some loaners, I would be glad to report on it.

Ancients

Jun 17, 2016
Ok. Thanks to getting my hands on some more 10G hardware the ports (15/16) seem to have a hardware incompatibility with my server hardware ( Supermicro X10SDV-8C-TLN4 )

Another Netgear switch ( a S3300-28X) connected and linked at 10G no problem using the same Cat6 cable.

So yay! Progress!

Hopefully Netgear support will keep looking into this.

Ancients

Jun 17, 2016
Reviving an old thread for updates.

Netgear took about a month and change but it is resolved.
They sent me a custom firmware for the switch which did the trick. Hopefully the fix rolls out in the next release.

Ancients

Jun 17, 2016
As someone who works in software, I was pretty happy with the turnaround time after I got escalated to an engineer.

The week it took to finally get to that point was lame though.

distracted247

Mar 17, 2012
I started reading this expecting doom and gloom but them sending you custom firmware specifically to resolve your issue sounds like a massive result!

trippehh

Oct 29, 2015
Pretty much every Broadcom Trident II based switch seems to have had this problem with the Xeon D's built-in NIC, and fixed firmware has just barely started showing up.

You'd think Intel / board vendors did some interop testing with one of the most popular switch chipsets before release, but you would be wrong it seems. :rolleyes: