Recent content by tanders12

1. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

I got it!! I started fiddling with all the available BIOS acoustics settings. The one that did the trick was: Advanced>System Acoustic and Performance Configuration>Set Throttling Mode This had been set to Auto. I tried each of the values. DCLTT (Dynamic Closed Loop Thermal Throttling) and...
  2. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

I've also confirmed that pegging all CPU cores does not cause the fan speeds to change from 1862RPM, and the temps only go up to 60C after a couple minutes. This makes me think that there's more than enough headroom for the fans to run much slower most of the time. Just need to figure out how to...
  3. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

I finally got around to setting up IPMI/BMC, and can see the fan speeds from both of those interfaces. I can confirm that the CPU fans start around 500RPM at boot and slowly ramp up to 1862RPM and stay there. I never observe any change in the CPU temps during this time (they're always below...
  4. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

Yeah I am able to see the temps fortunately, just not the fan speeds. Strangely I can't see the fan speeds on my GPU either.
  5. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

Does RMM use IPMI? I'm starting to think maybe there is no way to get fan information from within the OS.
  6. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

Even if I'm not using a P4000 case?
  7. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

Thanks @katit. What software do you use to read your fan speeds? So far I've tried SpeedFan and hwmonitor on windows and lm-sensors on Ubuntu but my system isn't reporting any fans. I think this might have something to do with my issue.
  8. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

Hm that's disappointing. And strange. I would think it has to be a setting somewhere, assuming the BIOS versions are the same. Doesn't FRUSDR install a specific BIOS version?
  9. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

Something else I've notice is that the OS (Tried both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04) is unable to see any of the fan sensors. Being able to measure the RPMs would be a good first step.
  10. T

Fan speed on S2600CP

I got a S260CP from natex. When I first started using it, I left it with whatever settings they had it on, which worked fine. After doing FRUSDR the fans were very quiet. I finally got a video card (GTX 950) and have been trying to get kvm with GPU passthrough working. In the process I got into...
  11. T

Easier to buy or build NAS server

One of the reasons I went with rolling my own was avoiding bit rot. Being able to run ZFS with ECC memory gives me a lot of peace of mind. I have a bunch of videos stored on a hard drive and noticed that some of them had gotten corrupted somehow. Don't want that happening to anything important...
  12. T

Dual E5 2670 workstation motherboard recommendation

@Joseph Nunn did you ever get your board? I noticed newegg is selling them for $320 now.
  13. T

Yeah I'm aware of the PCIE 2.0 issue. However, if you read earlier in this thread it sounds like the latest BIOS can run GPUs at 3.0 speeds. NVIDIA GPUs apparently need a patch. Not sure about AMD. Definitely let me know if you get your board. I'll keep this on my radar.
  14. T

Wow, thanks for all the excellent information. It sounds like we have a lot of similar plans for our systems, though you did considerably more research than me. I ended up buying the SP2600CP, and so far I'm very happy with it, though I have yet to start throwing discrete GPUs in there...
  15. T

@FunkyRider83 another thought: you are running Sandy Bridge v1 CPUs (like the E5 2670 v1) correct? I really need to borrow a x16 GPU from someone and test this out. I think I'm probably going to wait for the RX480 before I buy a new card.