Fan speed on S2600CP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
I got a S260CP from natex. When I first started using it, I left it with whatever settings they had it on, which worked fine. After doing FRUSDR the fans were very quiet. I finally got a video card (GTX 950) and have been trying to get kvm with GPU passthrough working. In the process I got into a configuration where I couldn't see the BIOS screen because the display was off, so I did a CMOS reset. I re-ran FRUSDR (not actually sure if that was necessary, does CMOS reset rollback the BIOS?), but the fans are much louder after booting now. They start out pretty quiet, but slowly ramp up and then stay at a higher level. Definitely audible whereas before they were almost silent all the time. Any ideas what settings I might need to change? In the BIOS I have it set to Acoustic mode.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
I dont have a solution for you but I have something similar after doing a CMOS reset. I can really remember but after the CMOS reset either fan 1 or 2 ramps up all the way to 100% when you turn it on, and there is so far no way of fixing it, even redoing the whole FRUSDR thing didnt work.

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
Something else I've notice is that the OS (Tried both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04) is unable to see any of the fan sensors. Being able to measure the RPMs would be a good first step.

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
I dont have a solution for you but I have something similar after doing a CMOS reset. I can really remember but after the CMOS reset either fan 1 or 2 ramps up all the way to 100% when you turn it on, and there is so far no way of fixing it, even redoing the whole FRUSDR thing didnt work.
Hm that's disappointing. And strange. I would think it has to be a setting somewhere, assuming the BIOS versions are the same. Doesn't FRUSDR install a specific BIOS version?

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
Thanks @katit. What software do you use to read your fan speeds? So far I've tried SpeedFan and hwmonitor on windows and lm-sensors on Ubuntu but my system isn't reporting any fans. I think this might have something to do with my issue.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I use RMM and read information from there. But I think (from what I read here) it's important to have fans connected to proper connectors (1/2) and update FRU when they are hooked up so FRU properly detects configuration

katit

Mar 18, 2015
That I can't answer but I think 1&2 are somewhat special connectors and it did work for me (and others)

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
Does RMM use IPMI? I'm starting to think maybe there is no way to get fan information from within the OS.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I don't know either :) Maybe someone can respond. From my understanding RMM _is_ IPMI
I don't recall seeing RPMs in other utilities but MemTest pulls CPU temps just fine

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
Yeah I am able to see the temps fortunately, just not the fan speeds. Strangely I can't see the fan speeds on my GPU either.

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
I finally got around to setting up IPMI/BMC, and can see the fan speeds from both of those interfaces. I can confirm that the CPU fans start around 500RPM at boot and slowly ramp up to 1862RPM and stay there. I never observe any change in the CPU temps during this time (they're always below 40C). So it seems that the system is looking at the correct fans, but the control logic isn't making sense to me. Any ideas on where to go next?

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
I've also confirmed that pegging all CPU cores does not cause the fan speeds to change from 1862RPM, and the temps only go up to 60C after a couple minutes. This makes me think that there's more than enough headroom for the fans to run much slower most of the time. Just need to figure out how to make the controller far less aggressive!

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
I got it!! I started fiddling with all the available BIOS acoustics settings. The one that did the trick was:

Advanced>System Acoustic and Performance Configuration>Set Throttling Mode

This had been set to Auto. I tried each of the values. DCLTT (Dynamic Closed Loop Thermal Throttling) and SCLTT (Static Closed Loop Thermal Throttling) seemed the same, but with SOLTT (Static Open Loop Thermal Throttling) it finally calmed down.

I'm now running at a cool 882RPM. Even pegging all cores until the temps go up into the mid 60s doesn't make it budge.

Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
I am going to try this later as our three Natex s2600 machines are running at 100% fans, after doing the SDRFR update.. Before this the CPU temps were hitting 95c, doing the update solved that problem but the noise and fan speed still persists.