Recent content by Storm-Chaser

1. Storm-Chaser

2x Xeon E5-2696 v4 Benchmark results and tuning log (44C/88T)

I like what I am seeing :) This thread will serve as a benchmark log for my ongoing HP z840 project. The rig is specifically built for benching and nothing else. Obviously, it cannot be overclocked, but still, I am thinking it will perform well against 12th gen processors / AMD processors as...
  2. Storm-Chaser

2x Xeon E5 2696 v4 Benchmark results and tuning (44C/88T)

I like what I am seeing :) Benchmarking to follow. Just got the system up and running.
  3. Storm-Chaser

Z840 w/ dual E5 2696 v3s - multi thread performance all over the map

I originally built this system for fun but also to do some benchmarking with. The system passes all the built in torture tests and it's rock solid. It has 64GB of 2133MHz RAM, with all 16 slots populated making for 8 channel memory configuration. The CPUs are not throttling back due to thermal...
  4. Storm-Chaser

How to assign two numa nodes to single group?

I have a z840 HP workstation system that is loaded with two E5 2696v3 processors and 64GB of 8 channel memory @ 2133MHz. Windows 10 pro. I actually do some benchmarking with it, however, windows 10 sees two numa nodes and so what this means is some of the benchmarking software will only tax one...
  5. Storm-Chaser

HP Z840 36C/72T Workstation Build

Hit ESC key when it posts and you will be able to select from the boot menu list
  6. Storm-Chaser

Some pictures from last night during the liquid metal install. PC on the left is a Z820, which is also maxed out with 64GB 8 channel memory and two 2673 v2 processors. Again, please forgive my potato phone. Moving on to undervolting this processor next. Im happy with memory bandwidth for...
  7. Storm-Chaser

Me too. I have three Z820s in addition to the z840. I source a lot of my server stuff from ebay. Seems to be some decent deals if you look around. I paid: $350 for bare bones chassis $300 for two E5 2696 v3 CPUs (This CPU is better than the flagship 2699 v3 due to higher turbo (3.8 vs 3.6) $300...
  8. Storm-Chaser

Sorry about the potato phone, I should have something better soon. Computer arrived yesterday. Has some scratches that will have to be delt with, however, easy fix ebay it (new side cover). Other than that it's in great condition, in fact, it has very little use on it at all. You can tell when...
  9. Storm-Chaser

This will serve as build log. Will get specs and pictures up tomorrow.
  10. Storm-Chaser

Z820 Build with Xeon 1680 v2 [overclocking]

Pictures to follow. This will be an interesting build. Picked up a z820 with the later boot block date for $300, just waiting on that to arrive at the moment and then I can get started. CPU is very cool, and quite rare. It's a Xeon E5-1680v2 and it has an unlocked multiplier. There are obviously...
  11. Storm-Chaser

Help on memory config HP DL380 G7

Is posting now with the separate type of memory?
  12. Storm-Chaser

E5-2696 V2 CPUs for $325!

That's why I purchased a 9600KF as opposed to a 9900KF. It's basically identical in performance up to 6 cores, and what most people don't really get is that you will rarely use more than 6 cores, and even if you do, it's still not going to be much slower. It's not like a 6 core CPU cant handle...
  13. Storm-Chaser

Depends on workload and other system hardware as well. And definitely not easily outclass two of them. Two 2696 v2 processors will actually edge out a core i9 extreme 10980XE in CPUz multi-core benchmark. That particular chip has 18 cores and 26 threads. The memory performance is still pretty...
  14. Storm-Chaser

Help on memory config HP DL380 G7

I think we found the root cause of your no post situation. I downloaded the user guide and turned to page 45, the memory installation guide. Here is what I found: More information on memory related specs (if you haven't already seen this): For help identifying the proper memory for your...
  15. Storm-Chaser

https://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/425/Intel_Xeon_E5-2695_v2_vs_Intel_Xeon_E5-2697_v2.html Probably not worth the hassle and cost of upgrading.