How to assign two numa nodes to single group?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
I have a z840 HP workstation system that is loaded with two E5 2696v3 processors and 64GB of 8 channel memory @ 2133MHz. Windows 10 pro.
I actually do some benchmarking with it, however, windows 10 sees two numa nodes and so what this means is some of the benchmarking software will only tax one CPU (because it can only use one group at a time), with the other CPU is left at idle because it's a different node. So for a lot of programs, I am missing out on about 50% processing power.

I have disabled numa in the BIOS and performance was much worse. Wondering if there is a registry fix or "funnel" of some sort so I can consolidate both numa nodes to a single group so I can run these benchmarks and get a good result? Like a single scheduler or something?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
If you force all of the memory channels on both CPUs to interleave by disabling numa, a large portion of memory access will have to go through QPI, making the memory latency much worse.

There is no workaround unless the workload itself supports numa, as each CPU can only directly access its own memory channels, so the other CPU can't access the benchmark data. Was hoping for a mirror mode in the future.

Reactions: Storm-Chaser