Recent content by solon

1. S

Experiences with Arista 7050TX or equivalent

Arista DCS-7050TX-72Q-F | 48-Port 10GBASE-T | 6x 40G QSFP+ | dual PSU | Rails Is sort of what I'd ideally want, as far as sufficient qsfp+ ports goes. 4 ports would leave no room for any kind of expansion. (Assuming that this supports 40gbe, I have a separate infiniband network for rdma...
  2. S

The why is simply because my definition of quiet has, so far, not even remotely been achievable with original fans or even with smaller noctua's. A 200mm noctua's sound level is below background. Unless the environment is very quiet, you simply hear nothing, which is what I'd like to achieve...
  3. S

Hello all, I'm considering purchasing something like a Arista DCS-7050QX-32S-R 40GB QSFP+ 4x10G 3 Layer Switch for home use. I don't hae any experience with Arista but going by the specs this seems a reasonable way to have 40Gbe between the machines where I have qsfp cards and 10gbe for...
  4. S

Epyc 7b13 + supermicro motherboard

I have to say this is looking like an attractive option. The fact that it's really just a slightly slower 7763 makes it really interesting. With three water cooled videocards, two nvmex4 cards, a connect-x and a 2x10gbe on a H12ssl-i it's more or less perfect to run all the VM's I want. Assuming...
  5. S

Well, I'm certainly curious. A 64 core Zen 3 Epyc is looking like a reasonable fit for the weird setup I'd ideally like to put together. Hope it all works!
  6. S

Thanks for the replies. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that it's all a bit iffy for that amount of money. I'll just keep looking around, see what happens to the zen3 epyc market when zen4 epyc actually becomes available.
  7. S

Hey all, I'm considering some upgrades and I spotted this on ebay: Supermicro H12SSL-i Motherboard, AMD EPYC 7B13 CPU 64 Core (OEM version of 7763) | eBay Now, the search term "7b13" only brings up a single hit on the entire forum and the contents of that thread seem to indicate that a 7b13...
  8. S

Cheapest, quietest, lowest power 40Gbe switch? (and preferably less than 55cm deep)

I actually have never really gotten around to sorting out the licensing things, the 6012 is still sitting on my desk. Turns out that infiniband is doing everything I need at the moment, at least until >1gbit internet becomes available. I could, for downloading from steam up the size of my cable...
  9. S

Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

So far I haven't even got as far as actually going through the guide to turn this into a proper melanox switch. I am lacking motivation to go through it since the other infiniband switch I already have already does 98% of what I require of it. If I'm honest with myself I'll probably have to run...
  10. S

For me staying within 1U wasn't neccesary, so this is how I solved it. 200mm hole in the top, cut a piece of plastic out of a folder to make an airguide which effectively blocks off the rear, air now blows onto the top of and under the pcb, and is vented out the front. These noctua fans are...
  11. S

Thanks! I'll give that a go tomorrow. I was looking for a way to launch the wizard, so that should be exactly what I need.
  12. S

Yours I think: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SS0_70PSD5NZDxMy-B---4X1i_2WiLoe/edit Nothing happens when I follow those links... unless my pihole has decided that hpe is an ad site, it's a little mysterious...
  13. S

Hey all, I purchased a SX6012 a while ago and have finally gotten around to messing with it. It looks like that despite my best efforts to get ahold of a true melanox one, it appears to be an EMC version. * Chasis Type : DINGO * Number of Ports : 12 * U-Boot Revision :U-Boot...
  14. S

US MELLANOX SX6036 - $200

So, unfortunately, despite specifically looking for and finding a SX6012 with no trace of EMC markings anywhere on the box, it appears that this does in fact have a EMC uboot image... guess I'm off to find that thread about switching from EMC to regular MLNX-OS. * Chasis Type : DINGO *...
  15. S

US MELLANOX SX6036 - $200

Not sure whether you were reacting to my project, and this is a little bit of a late reply, but I'm happy with the little infiniband network I'm running. I'm only using it as access to my network drives at the moment, but I am running games off of m.2's in my server which deliver data at around...