Recent content by polyfractal

1. P

Best value dual LGA-2011 motherboard for GPU (ML, video)?

To answer myself, a few folks elsewhere recommended I checkout Dell R7610's, as well as R720's (with the gpu power expansion cable)
  2. P

Best value dual LGA-2011 motherboard for GPU (ML, video)?

So I have a small cluster of OpenCompute nodes (LGA-2011 boards, mixture of xeon E5-2670 and E5-2650L V2, oodles of DDR3 RAM) which I use for a variety of compute-heavy tasks. I love them. But they aren't great for anything involving graphics/GPU. I can just barely get them to use an old ATI...
  3. P

It's quiet in here...but I'm still chugging along

Klee, are you running those RX 570/580s on your OpenCompute nodes? I had considered it in the past but the exorbitant prices kept me away. But now that the furor has died down a little, it seems more appealing. Although I'm not sure how the ancient OCP bios will handle them...
  4. P

Cryptonote coins

I quite literally laughed out loud when I read this. As a goon myself since like 2003 or something, and a long-time Eve player (although thankfully i'm winning Eve right now and not playing anymore) I guess I'm part of this mastermind plot to overthrow the crypto world too. :rolleyes: Howard...
  5. P

Cryptonote coins

Expanding on a few: Sumo. Their gimmick is a high mixin requirement (min 12 iirc) to ensure maximal privacy. Other cryptonotes only default to 3. Was forked after Monero's privacy bug was patched, so the blockchain is "clean" if that's something you care about. IIRC the monero GUI wallet was...
  6. P

Another new coin that I mined for fun, talk about a ride.

My take is that mkid is largely trying to PnD the coin although without a ton of success. It may be that mkid is secretly one of the devs but I doubt it. Mkid has: Repeatedly bragged about volume of TRTL that he mined, nicehashed and bought. Unclear if he really holds the quantity claimed...
  7. P

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Thanks, that was very helpful! I'll play around with configurations and see what I get. I just wish there was an easier way to determine if single/double/quad channel is being used... I can't find anything useful in the BIOS or linux to determine the number of channels actually being utilized...
  8. P

Yep, after flashing it just never POSTs again. Lights turn on, but it doesnt send video or make any other appearance of starting (can't ssh in, etc). It's been sitting unpowered for a week or so now, will try again and see if it boots up! I ordered a usb flasher, so that will be the next...
  9. P

ASrockrack 2U4N-F/X200

Ah interesting, maybe I just got a steal on my Quantas at the time then.
  10. P

ASrockrack 2U4N-F/X200

Cryptonight-based currencies, since they are the most CPU-friendly (and onsit mentioned Lukminer, which is a Cryptonight mining software: lukMiner - A New Cross-Platform Monero/Bytecoin/Electroneum/Aeon miner). So Monero, Sumo, Bytecoin, Aeon (if you multiple hash by three-ish), etc.
  11. P

ASrockrack 2U4N-F/X200

Are you sure about those OC prices? $4/H sounds very high. I semi-recently expanded my OC cluster with an additional 8 nodes and it worked out to this: x4 Quanta servers @ $175ea == $696 x16 E5-2650L V2 @ $94ea == $1,519 x8 320GB drives @ 19ea == $152 24gb ECC RAM * 8 nodes @ $1.25/gb == $240...
  12. P

Yeah, and if you have a sizable stack of coins, you can play market games really easily right now. A single exchange with really thin order books means it's easy to push the price around (drive it up with a bunch of small buy orders, wait for people to follow, sell off for a tidy profit, wait...
  13. P

Anyone have experience resetting the BIOS, or pulling the chip and flashing with a USB programmer? I was updating one of my Quanta boards to FO3C3A07, and it never came back to life after rebooting. I'm assuming the flash went bad somehow, since it was working fine before and swapping out the...
  14. P

If I had to wildly speculate, I'd say the TRTL devs are some of the community members who were working on the rebase. There's been some mild drama lately around how the rebase bounty is being handled (here and here). Might be that some of those devs are tired of toiling away with radio silence...
  15. P

Monero Mining Performance

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/anyone-here-tried-the-xeon-e5-2651-v2.17347/ From that thread: - dual E5-2650L v2: ~730 H/s - dual E5-2651 v2: ~840 h/s