Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
At that point why not just buy the Winterfell model for $90, that has a mini power board that is probably in an always hot configuration.
If I had found any Winterfell nodes when I was buying I would have got one. It's nearly impossible to find these for a reasonable sum in the EU and shipping from the US to the EU is not cheap.

polyfractal

Apr 6, 2016
Hello,

I do not know if you mean you have update the BIOS correctly, but it just cannot boot (no video output) after the reboot.
If you do mean this, I will suggest you leave it turn on for 24 hours. It may comes back after some time.
It happend to us that we updated the BIOS correcly, but there is no video output afterward after the reboot. We accidentally found out that if this happened and leave it power on, it can comes back after some times passed.
This sounds stupid, but it happened to us MANY TIMES.
Yep, after flashing it just never POSTs again. Lights turn on, but it doesnt send video or make any other appearance of starting (can't ssh in, etc).

It's been sitting unpowered for a week or so now, will try again and see if it boots up! I ordered a usb flasher, so that will be the next adventure if this doesn't work.

Unrelated, anyone know the memory bank layout on these motherboards? I believe they are quad channel based on the specs, but I'm not sure the proper arrangement. If I have four sticks, should they be in A0, A4, B0, B4? Or A0, A1, B0, B1?

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Unrelated, anyone know the memory bank layout on these motherboards? I believe they are quad channel based on the specs, but I'm not sure the proper arrangement. If I have four sticks, should they be in A0, A4, B0, B4? Or A0, A1, B0, B1?
They are quad channel.

You are supposed to populate the channels before you start populating multiple DIMMs in the same channel. Therefore if you had 4 DIMMs you would populate one DIMM per channel instead of populating two DIMMs in the first two channels.

So from your description you should populate A0, A2, B0, B2.

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/memory/X10_memory_config_guide.pdf

From personal experience, I have 4 x 16GB RDIMMs and 4 x 8GB RDIMMs in my node for a total of 96GB. According to the above, you're not supposed to mix and match capacities. I cannot mix 8GB and 16GB DIMMs in the same channel, it won't POST.

So in my configuration I have (edited to correct):
Channel 1: single 16GB RDIMM
Channel 2: single 16GB RDIMM
Channel 3: dual 8GB RDIMMs
Channel 4: unpopulated

This seems to work fine, it POSTs, all the RAM is visible. Performance is probably not optimal though since the channels do not all have equal DIMM capacities.

I can post an annotated diagram later today. CPU1 has Channel 1 starting on the opposite side to CPU0, but I don't recall which side that is. Channel 1 slot 1 is the furthest from the CPU, but the side changes depending if it's CPU0 or CPU1 ;)

Last edited:

polyfractal

Apr 6, 2016
Thanks, that was very helpful! I'll play around with configurations and see what I get. I just wish there was an easier way to determine if single/double/quad channel is being used... I can't find anything useful in the BIOS or linux to determine the number of channels actually being utilized, in case the config is wrong.

B0 through B7 is definitely reversed for Socket 1, relative to A0 through A7 on Socket 0.

Theoretically, maximum performance would be eight DIMMs, correct? That way both sockets have access to the full quad channel?

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
They are quad channel.

You are supposed to populate the channels before you start populating multiple DIMMs in the same channel. Therefore if you had 4 DIMMs you would populate one DIMM per channel instead of populating two DIMMs in the first two channels.

So from your description you should populate A0, A2, B0, B2.

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/memory/X10_memory_config_guide.pdf

From personal experience, I have 4 x 16GB RDIMMs and 4 x 8GB RDIMMs in my node for a total of 96GB. According to the above, you're not supposed to mix and match capacities. I cannot mix 8GB and 16GB DIMMs in the same channel, it won't POST.

I also cannot put two 8GB DIMMs in one channel, that doesn't POST either.

So in my configuration I have:
Channel 1: single 16GB RDIMM
Channel 2: single 16GB RDIMM
Channel 3: single 8GB RDIMM
Channel 4: single 8GB RDIMM

This seems to work fine, it POSTs, all the RAM is visible. Performance is probably not optimal though since the channels do not all have equal capacities.

I can post an annotated diagram later today. CPU1 has Channel 1 starting on the opposite side to CPU0, but I don't recall which side that is. Channel 1 slot 1 is the furthest from the CPU, but the side changes depending if it's CPU0 or CPU1 ;)
That matches my experience with the Supermicro X9DRT boards; if you don't populate the DIMMs in the expected order, the system won't post.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
I can't find anything useful in the BIOS or linux to determine the number of channels actually being utilized, in case the config is wrong.
Which BIOS are you running? In my BIOS I can see which channels/slots are populated.

Under Advanced -> Memory Configuration -> DIMM Information

In my BIOS there is
"Preproduction Debug Option
Show Hidden Options [Enabled]" which may be necessary to show the DIMM Information screen.

Checking now, I guess I do have both 8GB DIMMs in the same channel... so maybe it wasn't posting with them in separate channels. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Theoretically, maximum performance would be eight DIMMs, correct? That way both sockets have access to the full quad channel?
I think the maximum performance would be at the highest memory clock. The Supermicro documentation above might have more information on memory speed with different channel configurations.

Since I have a v1 CPU I'm limited to 1333MHz.

iguy

Feb 23, 2017
Hi there, would someone please be able to share the F03C3B10 bios? Please let me know.

Thanks

Barnett8

Apr 26, 2017
Does anyone have a good guide on how to set up the Mellanox 10G mezzanine cards for the Wywinn's?

Hi there, would someone please be able to share the F03C3B10 bios? Please let me know.

Thanks
I have the F03C3A07 if that would be helpful.

danielc

Mar 13, 2017
Does anyone have a good guide on how to set up the Mellanox 10G mezzanine cards for the Wywinn's?

I have the F03C3A07 if that would be helpful.
Not sure if there is any difference of Quanta and the Wywinn 's one for the 10G card, you need to check the model of the 10G vard and download the driver and install it for the OS you are going to install .

E.g Refer this for the linux drivers for different Linuxz destro
http://www.mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=27

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
After setting up several dozen Windmill nodes, i've grown quite weary of the all the wiring and customized rack/power issues that we had to deal with. For our new deployments, i'm looking at the Winterfell systems as a complete rack. It looks like there are two PDUs in the rack... does anybody have any information on the input power? phase? Couldn't seem to locate anything "concrete" for the 3-node Winterfell systems. I'm seeing 230, 277, 380v.. single phase, 3 phase... doesn't seem to be as standardized as the Windmill nodes.

Last edited:

Pavlon

Feb 27, 2018
Hi guys,
Want to buy this Quanta Windmill Open Compute System Board on eBay. Its size at the seller is, and weight isn't present.
Can you tell her the approximate weight? It is necessary for delivery to another country.
Thanks.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Hi guys,
Want to buy this Quanta Windmill Open Compute System Board on eBay. Its size at the seller is, and weight isn't present.
Can you tell her the approximate weight? It is necessary for delivery to another country.
Thanks.
Just remember that there's a lot about these that are nonstandard (power supply connection is probably the biggest issue to figure out). Plenty of info in this very thread.

Nz0

Nov 21, 2017
Hi guys,
Thanks.
Are you importing into Europe?

Envoyé de mon SM-A320FL en utilisant Tapatalk

Pavlon

Feb 27, 2018
Are you importing into Europe?
Yes, in Russia. I was told the board weighs about 2 kg.
In fact, there are only two issues with this Board. The first is the use of a standard ATX power supply, the second is the lack of fan power connectors for cooling.
Have you tried using a normal ATX power supply with Zero Load technology? Like it is not necessary to load additionally power supply circuit 3 and 5 volt.

Nz0

Nov 21, 2017
Yes, in Russia. I was told the board weighs about 2 kg.
In fact, there are only two issues with this Board. The first is the use of a standard ATX power supply, the second is the lack of fan power connectors for cooling.
Have you tried using a normal ATX power supply with Zero Load technology? Like it is not necessary to load additionally power supply circuit 3 and 5 volt.
The PSU is a separate board when you have a dual node and there are also fan connectors on the board. This what I have.

You should look at the mod of hmartin for single board https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-199-quanta-openrack.6856/page-34#post-175931

PS: I don't know what is the weight of a single board alone.

Pavlon

Feb 27, 2018
The PSU is a separate board when you have a dual node and there are also fan connectors on the board.
Does your power supply adjust the fan speed depending on the CPU load or just use them for maximum speed?
And does anyone work on this motherboard V2 processors ?

Last edited:

Nz0

Nov 21, 2017
Does your power supply adjust the fan speed depending on the CPU load or just use them for maximum speed?
And does anyone work on this motherboard V2 processors ?
The firmware is brain dead. I neutralized the pwm cable to have the fans running at 100%. Hmartin made a mod to control his fan manually with a little pwm controller that you can find online for a few bucks.
My cpus are v1.

Envoyé de mon SM-A320FL en utilisant Tapatalk

Syndroma

Nov 5, 2017
For our new deployments, i'm looking at the Winterfell systems as a complete rack. It looks like there are two PDUs in the rack... does anybody have any information on the input power? phase?

Looks similiar to Windmill, supports 3 phase input.