Recent content by petreza

1. P

TrueNAS SMB Share - files show a different group under Ubuntu (root) vs (myusername) under Windows and TrueNAS

This was it. Thanks! I only had uid=1000. I added gid=1000 and after a reboot it shows correctly. So, the "credentials=/path/file" of the cifs mount in fstab is strictly for gaining access to the share files. Once mounted, they show according to the "uid=####,gid=####" parameters in fstab.
  2. P

TrueNAS SMB Share - files show a different group under Ubuntu (root) vs (myusername) under Windows and TrueNAS

Thanks, but the problem is with the SMB share, not the NFS. I mentioned the NFS parenthetically only because it had similar issue, which is now resolved. Let me reiterate for clarity: TrueNAS: Users: myusername - UID 1000 Groups: myusername - GID 1000 SMB share of MyDataset "Edit Permissions"...
  3. P

I have setup a SMB share (and a NFS share too) in Truenas 12.0-U8. Shout-out to David McKone's detailed guide(s for both) on youtube: The user name and primary group on both TrueNAS and my Ubuntu Desktop are the same: myusername:myusername. When I setup the ACL for the dataset I applied the...
  4. P

ESXi - mobo USB passthrough not working - SuperMicro X11DPG-QT

I got the High Point RocketU 1344A and am using that for USB passthrough on the X11DPG-QT for a Sworkstation / HEWS (High End Workstation - I made this one up). I upgraded to ESXi 7 and was able to passthrough the "Intel Corporation Lewisberg SATA AHCI Controller" but the onboard USB never...
  5. P

Got Arista 7050QX-32 (non S) - ...hmmm..., now what? Some questions, comments, issues....

(I have posted updates to most of the Qs above) I am not able to establish a connection through the switch. Reading online it seems that Arista switches should not require any configuration to establish a basic connection. As long as the "cables" are compatible, it should be just plug-n-play -...
  6. P

Got Arista 7050QX-32 (non S) - ...hmmm..., now what? Some questions, comments, issues....

Apr 18 - updates to Q4, Q6, Q7, Q8 - addressed below, added Q9
  7. P

So I got a 7050QX-32 (non S), used, and want to test it before the return window closes. Below is a list of the various issues, comments, questions that I have. The two main ones are some stability problems - reboots - and (perhaps related) out of storage space. I don't have experience with CLI...
  8. P

Can I run Arista 7050QX-32 without the unit's fans? (with home-made cooling)

Would Arista 7050QX-32 boot/run without any of the factory fans connected? I plan to use only a few ports with DACs for a homelab setup. It should consume approx. 100W-120W with one PSU - link. I would put 4x 14mm or bigger fans with the cover off to dissipate the heat, while being much quieter...
  9. P

Power Supply recommendation for Arista 7050qx-32 (non-S)?

Couldn't afford the $600-$800+ for a complete 7050qx-32 so I bought a "water damage" unit that came without any power supply or fans. Is there a budget alternative for the power supply? I see that the S-version ( 500W - PWR-500AC-F ) power supply is cheaper than the non-S ( 460W - PWR-460AC-F...
  10. P

Second (multiple) iSCSI connection from the same ESXi host to the same FreeNAS, problem.

Thanks for the advice, kapone! This helped. I should have RTFM instead of poking around things I don't understand well. So, I did not have to repeat the whole procedure again. Just add the new zvol (extent) to the same target (a new line under Associated Targets - leave LUN blank - it should...
  11. P

Second (multiple) iSCSI connection from the same ESXi host to the same FreeNAS, problem.

that was not the issue, but thanks for the advice dswartz, it did not occur to me
  12. P

Wasted several hours trying to establish a second iSCSI connection from the same ESXi host to a new ZVOL (zvol2) hosted by the same FreeNAS server for my homelab. The Authentication method is Mutual CHAP which works fine for the first ZVOL (zvol1). On Freenas I did: - create zvol2 - Portals...
  13. P

Help with motherboard and CPU for new FreeNAS build

Don't forget the VMUG Advantage recommendation above. It gives you the whole shebang for home lab use for $200/year ($180 if you use a coupon) - limited to 32 cores total.
  14. P

PCIe x16 bifurcation to x4x4x4x4 then mixing Gen2 and Gen3 cards - will all be Gen2 speed?

asked Supermicro; they said they do not know - have never tested such a setup - but in general they think one card should NOT affect the speed of another even if they are plugged in the same slot (using bifurcation and passive slot splitters)
  15. P

8-controller 8-port USB 3.0 5Gbps Type-C Single PCIe x8 Slot Renesas uPD720202 card- U3X8-PCIE8XE104

Found this PCIe 2.0 x8 card: IOI Technology Corp. model - U3X8-PCIE8XE104 Octad Channel 8-port USB 3.0 to PCI Express x8 Gen 2 Host Card | U3X8-PCIE8XE104 but it is not sold directly from the manufacturer or anywhere on the interwebs. (I have contacted them before about another product and...