Recent content by OrlyP

1. O

POE Injector

Probably not. It's only rated for 1GbE. Any 3rd-party 2.5GbE that's PoE+ should work. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TPE-215GI-2-5GBASE-T-Compliant-Integrated/dp/B08BS5C3HY
  2. O

Is there a Synology Hybrid RAID/SHR-type storage solution for Windows?

I currently have Drive Bender with 43TB of pooled capacity: 4x 8TB 2x 4TB 1x 3TB Drive Bender has been great, been using it for maybe about a decade now with little to no problems. However, the developer has closed shop and so, I'm essentially running my system on borrowed time. I'll be stuck...
  3. O

Rubber grip around mouse swelling and bunching up

Created a new thread for mouse recommendations here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/recommend-a-wireless-bt-mouse.41676/ Thanks!
  4. O

Recommend a Wireless+BT Mouse

So it appears that my hands aren't compatible with rubber grips or rubber coatings on many of the mice available today. It's actually slim pickings for a work mouse without any sort of rubber on it so I thought I'd crowdsource for one. Use case is non-gaming. I need it for work and general...
  5. O

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, it may seem that using alcohol-based hand disinfectant had something to do with it. I got all three mice within 2020-2022, right smack in the middle of the pandemic. On the side, I also work on my small engines (mostly portable generators) and when cleaning...
  6. O

What would typically cause this? Happened to a Logitech M585 and now also to two Rapoo M500 mice. Logitech: I had to totally remove the wrap from the Logitech and painted the underlying white plastic with black spray paint to hide the rough surface. It's only slightly better now but at least...
  7. O

Favorite recycled "enterprise" mini-tower?

That'll be next to impossible. The post was from the now-defunct homeservershow forum. I tried looking for the specific thread in the waybackmachine, to no success. However, I can offer you an alternative solution. Using a specific fan (Cougar CF-V12HP) and a bit of finesse to do a pin-swap on...
  8. O

That is true. I guess I got lucky. I have a decade-old HP Microserver N40L which uses proprietary fan signaling. If the fan goes out, you can't just drop in an aftermarket 120mm fan. But some ingenious people had to make a circuit to simulate the signal that the motherboard is expecting. Without...
  9. O

Cheap, efficient, USB-C Power Supply?

You can buy USB-C adapters from I guess 45W to charge smartphones to 60-165W to charge laptops. Do you want one with multiple PD outputs? Just one? Check out offerings from this site: GaN Charger Deals, Coupon Codes, Prices, Reviews - OzBargain I buy used stuff on FB Marketplace mostly...
  10. O

Cheap, efficient, USB-C Power Supply?

Look for PD-capable adapters that uses GaN transistors. Check the used market for USB-C GaN laptop chargers... Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. AE is not my first go-to place for a lot of reasons, but your mileage will vary.
  11. O

I recently bought a used ProDesk 400 G3 SFF with an i5-6500 to run my home firewall. I would've happily gotten an equivalent Dell or a Lenovo but this HP was cheapest. Though, I had to replace both 80mm fans with a couple of Arctic P8 to lower the noise. The CPU fan header is a standard 4-pin...
  12. O

POE Injector

You need to be more specific.... like including the model numbers. Before you can figure out if all four endpoints can be powered up from the same PoE source, you'll need to look-up the manufacturer datasheets or the labels on the devices itself. You can only mix and match passive PoE endpoints...
  13. O

Doh, my dual M2 NVMe FireCuda drives can't inserted side-by-side due to heatsinks. What are my options?

Before you grind away, check if there are M.2 extenders or risers that you can use for the 2nd drive so it clears the other.
  14. O

Why can't we have home switches with 120mm+ fans in a 'non-pizzabox' type case?

Not when you're switching tens of gigabits per second between them. The manufacturer needs to maintain full wire-speed, non-blocking switching between any port or ports. This adds unnecessary complexity, extra components (both active and passive), uses up more electricity, and will undoubtedly...