POE Injector

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Plex2020

May 22, 2020
I have 2 Amcrest Dome Cams and 2 TPLINK APs, one on 1st floor and second on 3rd floor.

I would like to use one passive POE injector for all instead of separate POEs.

TP Link POE is 24V
Amcrest Cameras are unknown

Don't want to change switch to a POE switch!

sko

Jun 11, 2021
TP Link POE is 24V
That's not a standard-conformant voltage, so you'd need the proprietary injectors for those things (same BS as with some ubiquiti gear), most likely those are "passive" PoE, i.e. they always carry voltage, which is not allowed for "real" PoE (and possibly destructive for any other gear).

For proper, standard conformant PoE, there are so-called midspan injectors which are also available with 4 or 8 ports, e.g. by startech and IIRC linksys also had such things. Price point for 4 ports usually starts somewhere between 150-200$. An unmanaged 8-port PoE+ switch from fs.com clocks in at 89$ - add another 30$ and you'll get a managed variant with dual SFP uplinks...
In that price range of 150-200$ you may also find used enterprise PoE switches with 24 or even 48 ports.

Given TP link isn't terribly high-end, I wouldn't spend a single cent on some proprietary PoE injectors for those - I'll say just replace them with proper PoE gear and go shopping for a PoE switch, as those midspan injectors were always rare and hence expensive. (=used ones are hard to find and still expensive)

OrlyP

May 16, 2023
TP Link POE is 24V
Amcrest Cameras are unknown
You need to be more specific.... like including the model numbers. Before you can figure out if all four endpoints can be powered up from the same PoE source, you'll need to look-up the manufacturer datasheets or the labels on the devices itself. You can only mix and match passive PoE endpoints to a single PoE power source if they have identical voltage requirements, uses the same pinouts, and you don't go over the PoE supply power budget...

1. Voltage (ie. 24V)
2. Pinouts (Commonly: 4,5+ | 7,8 -)
3. Power budget (Max. Wattage of all the devices combined)

Assuming that both the TP-Link and Amcrest Cams uses the same exact voltage and pinouts, as well as not exceed 30W max, you can probably use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/WT-GPOE-4B-24v30w-Gigabit-Passive-Ethernet-Injector/dp/B01NAPJ9M6

If the APs require 15W each, you'll need two of those PoE injectors.... one to power both APs and the other to power the Cams (assuming they're 24V and uses the same pinouts as the APs).

All that said, it's still better to just use the PoE injectors these endpoints came with. It's a cabling mess but it's safer. Also, one failing PoE won't take out all devices.

Just a few ideas for you....

Plex2020

May 22, 2020
That's not a standard-conformant voltage, so you'd need the proprietary injectors for those things (same BS as with some ubiquiti gear), most likely those are "passive" PoE, i.e. they always carry voltage, which is not allowed for "real" PoE (and possibly destructive for any other gear).

For proper, standard conformant PoE, there are so-called midspan injectors which are also available with 4 or 8 ports, e.g. by startech and IIRC linksys also had such things. Price point for 4 ports usually starts somewhere between 150-200$. An unmanaged 8-port PoE+ switch from fs.com clocks in at 89$ - add another 30$ and you'll get a managed variant with dual SFP uplinks...
In that price range of 150-200$ you may also find used enterprise PoE switches with 24 or even 48 ports.

Given TP link isn't terribly high-end, I wouldn't spend a single cent on some proprietary PoE injectors for those - I'll say just replace them with proper PoE gear and go shopping for a PoE switch, as those midspan injectors were always rare and hence expensive. (=used ones are hard to find and still expensive)
Thanks I did buy a mid span POE for the cameras and I'm using the original POE that came with the two access points. I was just trying to save space in my battery back up by eliminating one outlet instead of having to take a nap or three

Marvin33

Aug 4, 2023
Will the Ubiquiti POE injector U-POE-AT model be compatible with 2.5GbE and other brands, e.g. Netgear WAX220?