Recent content by modernist

1. M

20-pin ATX + Supermicro PJ1 port?

On a related note, does anyone know what type of connector is used for the PJ1 port, i.e. the small end of the CBL-PWEX-1063 adapter cable? Thinking of upgrading to an Epyc 3000 series motherboard and would prefer to make a custom cable rather than using the adapter.
  2. M

FS: BR10i RAID controller and i5-2390t CPU

BR10i and i5-2390t are still available. I'll leave it up for now, but may list them on eBay in a couple days.
  3. M

FS: BR10i RAID controller and i5-2390t CPU

Doing some house cleaning and have a few things to pass along. All items are in working condition and priced low for a quick sale. Pictures available on request. Pick up in SF Bay Area or I'll ship for free within the US as long as it does not exceed the price of the item. IBM M1015 /...
  4. M

searching for low-power embedded mITX motherboard

I'm in kind of the same boat with my E3-1240v3 home server (ASRock E3C226D2I ITX motherboard), which was loud and heating up my home office like crazy especially in the summer months. The X10SDV-2C-TLN2F with the D-1508 is tempting, but first I figured I would try to optimize what I have. So...
  5. M

Asrock C226 ITX soon

I've been running for a while longer with the fans set to "SmartFan" and it seems to actually be working pretty well. The e3-1240 idles around 50C with fan at low speed and goes to about 80C and full fan when running folding@home. Initially, I was getting under-speed errors on the fans in the...
  6. M

Asrock C226 ITX soon

Yes, I think the range was actually something like 23W to 30W depending on fan speed. I chose to report the 23W number, as it's more representative of a fully-idle system with the fans turned down.
  7. M

Asrock C226 ITX soon

I used a Kill A Watt to measure the power consumption.
  8. M

Haswell vs Avoton for Mini-ITX NAS?

I am/was in a similar situation and decided to go with the ASRock E3C226D2I. For pure low-power home NAS usage, the ASRock C2750D4I (Avoton) looks perfect. However, for my purposes I also use this box to run a Windows 8 instance that I use from various thin clients, plus a general VM sandbox...
  9. M

Asrock C226 ITX soon

For those who are curious about more details, I ended up taking the plunge and ordered one of these from Superbiiz this week. ASRock E3C226D2i Xeon e3-1240v3 OEM Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G DDR3-1333 16GB(2x 8GB) ECC Unregistered CL9 Scythe Big Shuriken v1 with full-size 120mm fan...
  10. M

Switched & Per-port metered PDU

Yes, there is a 6-port EU version as well, at approximately the same price.
  11. M

I forgot to mention that the price is around $100 for the mPower Pro
  12. M

I just received my Ubiquiti mPower Pro yesterday. They were backordered, but there seems to be some inventory coming in. So far I'm very happy with it. The price is much better than the Echola option, and so far it seems to do what I wanted, which is monitoring the power consumption of the...
  13. M

Asrock C226 ITX soon

Looks like it's starting to be in stock: E3C226D2I ASRock LGA1150/ Intel C226/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ V&2GbE/ Mini-ITX Server Motherboard - Xeon Server Motherboard - SuperBiiz.com Looking forward to some reviews.
  14. M

Nice, thank you very much for the pointer. The mPower Pro looks like a good alternative to the Echola power strip at less than half the cost. The software looks a bit different, and there's apparently no SNMP currently, but it should get the job done.
  15. M

Asrocks new C2750 & C2550 boards (12 SATA ports and IPMI).

These boards definitely look interesting. Is there any info on whether Avoton supports VT-d? I don't see it in the specs, but sometimes the Intel info can be a little ambiguous.