Switched & Per-port metered PDU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Looking for a switched and per-port metered pdu either in a 15A or 20A vintage would prefer networked with some-type of web interface but looking on used market for a home lab (brand doesn't matter)...cheaper the better.

modernist

Aug 28, 2013
I'm looking for the same thing. Best I've found so far is the Echola SPDU-108L. Does just what I want, but at $269 it's not exactly cheap.
SPDU-108L, 15A, 8-outlet, Smart Desktop Power Distribution Unit with Outlet real-time power or energy monitoring

Otherwise, there's a chance of finding datacenter-grade PDUs on the used market, but as far as I can tell most of them only do power monitoring at the entire PDU level. Outlet-level monitoring is still a bit of a special feature.

I also checked the various UPS brands, and those all seem to report the total load rather than individual outlets.

Anyone have other ideas?

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Ha. I actually just started looking for this as well. Finding something outlet based is tough. Didnt realize my AP7830 that I hadnt connected yet was only at the PDU level. =(

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Have you guys looked at the Ubiquiti mPowers? Not exactly commercial grade, but they tick most of your boxes. You need to have a computer/controller running to control it though. I have 2 of the 3 port ones. Was using it to log power usage and test UPSs. I had one with a 1200W copier and a screen on it. They are only 15A though.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
I would need something for about 15 servers/devices and actually would be in a half rack colo. looking like most options are $600+ :/

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
my dl360e came with that fancy power supply that can do management over the power wire (blue cord). was a freebie. the hp pdu's can them tell you you plugged a server into the same pdu twice :) and manage the ILO from the PDU. really slick integration.

you can just ask the server for its power information too

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
my dl360e came with that fancy power supply that can do management over the power wire (blue cord). was a freebie. the hp pdu's can them tell you you plugged a server into the same pdu twice :) and manage the ILO from the PDU. really slick integration.

you can just ask the server for its power information too
Is it just 3 pins like a normal power cable or does it have extra pins?

MACscr

May 4, 2011
I personally dont even need the switched part as IPMI can take care of that 99% of the time, but the metering per device/server should would be nice.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
it has extra pins. hence the blue power cable. the front of the server can somehow communicate through the rack too. no idea how that works.

modernist

Aug 28, 2013
Nice, thank you very much for the pointer. The mPower Pro looks like a good alternative to the Echola power strip at less than half the cost. The software looks a bit different, and there's apparently no SNMP currently, but it should get the job done.

modernist

Aug 28, 2013
I just received my Ubiquiti mPower Pro yesterday. They were backordered, but there seems to be some inventory coming in. So far I'm very happy with it. The price is much better than the Echola option, and so far it seems to do what I wanted, which is monitoring the power consumption of the various gizmos in my home office.

Pros:
1. 8 port power strip with port-level monitoring
2. Includes both Wifi and Ethernet networking
3. mFi monitoring software is pretty good and runs on Windows servers (if you have one handy) and apparently there is a cloud version also
4. Monitors watts, amps, volts, total energy usage
5. Can be used to remotely power-cycle individual ports

Cons:
1 No API for custom monitoring solutions, although apparently there is an ssh interface. Info should be available soon via the community forums.

vegaman

Sep 12, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm not sure it would get through customs with the EU plugs. I'll have to hope they do an AU or IEC model I guess.
Edit: you wouldn't happen to have measured the power consumption of the mpower itself (I couldn't find any figures in their documentation)? The APC switched/metered PDU's don't seem that power friendly from what I've seen. So it'd be nice if these are.

Last edited:

dukzcry1

Nov 25, 2013
I have 2 of the 3 port ones. Was using it to log power usage and test UPSs. I had one with a 1200W copier and a screen on it. They are only 15A though.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
Bump... anyone know of a rackmount per-port metered PDU? I did a quick search and I see lots of people asking for the Ubiquiti mPower Pro in rackmount form factor, but it doesn't look like they've delivered... of course there are megabuck PDUs that do this, but I'm looking for something cheap.

Or maybe a megabuck smart rackmount PDU with per-port metering that can be had cheaply from ebay?