20-pin ATX + Supermicro PJ1 port?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Everyone,

The new Epyc Supermicro boards come with this weird power setup: they have both an 8-pin CPU plug and a weird, proprietary-looking port (PJ1) that comes with an ATX adapter (CBL-PWEX-1063). I believe the Xeon D-2100 boards have the same setup:

The manual says:
1.6 Power Supply

As with all computer products, a stable power source is necessary for proper and reliable operation. It is even more important for processors that have high CPU clock rates. It is strongly recommended that you use a high quality power supply that meets ATX power supply Specification 2.02 or above. It must also be SSI compliant. (For more information, please refer to the website at Industry Reference | SNIA). Additionally, in areas where noisy power transmission is present, you may choose to install a line filter to shield the computer from noise. It is recommended that you also install a power surge protector to help avoid problems caused by power surges.

Note: The M11SDV-4C/4CT/8C/8CT/8C+-LN4F motherboard supports either 12V DC in power input or ATX power input. The 12V DC IN power input requires an 8-pin 12V DC IN connection to the JPV1 header. ATX power input requires an 8-pin 12V connections to JPV1 header and PJ1 a 4-pin power connector of an ATX power supply by power cable (24-pin ATX to 4-pin power cable for PJ1, Supermicro P/N: CBL-PWEX-1063). PJ1 allows motherboard control of the 5VStby, power on, power good, and ground signals from the ATX power supply.
Question: Can I use a 20-pin ATX cable (like that found on the PWS-203-1H PSU) with this adapter for the PJ1 port? Like so:

Reactions: haregh19

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I found no information, said screw it, and have been running the board with the power hooked up as pictured above. Nothing has exploded yet.

modernist

Aug 28, 2013
On a related note, does anyone know what type of connector is used for the PJ1 port, i.e. the small end of the CBL-PWEX-1063 adapter cable? Thinking of upgrading to an Epyc 3000 series motherboard and would prefer to make a custom cable rather than using the adapter.

sagra

Apr 27, 2020
On a related note, does anyone know what type of connector is used for the PJ1 port
I believe its the Samtec Mini Mate series. IPD1-02-D-K for the connector and CC79R-2024-01-L for the crimps. I haven't tried this yet (just ordered parts) but the pictures look right and the dimensions match.

Wsunardy

Jun 14, 2020
Hi, I have misplaced the motherboard box and can't found it now, where I can buy this CBL-PWEX-1063?

Last edited:

Nightfly

Mar 25, 2020
I believe its the Samtec Mini Mate series. IPD1-02-D-K for the connector and CC79R-2024-01-L for the crimps. I haven't tried this yet (just ordered parts) but the pictures look right and the dimensions match.
Hi @sagra have you been successful with these parts?

Skczsa

Apr 22, 2022
Has anyone else had trouble with cable management after installing the CBL-PWEX-1063 adapter?
I'm using a SC505 Chassis with the stock dual fan configuration.
After adding the CBL-PWEX-1063 adapter I found the short length of the cable + the position of the left fan make it almost impossible to lay down the power connector so you can close the case.
If anyone has solved this issue, please share your solution.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Yeah, that's going to be tough to overcome. There's a reason why Supermicro only includes the X11SDV boards with the 24-pin ATX connector in their 1U barebones that use the SC505 chassis. I think they expect people to use the SC300 chassis with the boards that only have the 12V connector (at least it can still be rackmounted).

Skczsa

Apr 22, 2022
In my defense, I built a Server 5019D-FTN4 part for part (at a significant discount) going by the official parts list here instead of buying a pre-built unit. Only issue was the CBL-PWEX-1063 was absent from the parts list... All images I can find such as this show the CBL-PWEX-1063 tucked in the top left corner, yet make not mention this makes it impossible to close the lid. Think the only option is to source a CBL-PWEX-1063 equivalent cable with a longer cable. Has anyone else found a good solution for this?

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Hey Everyone,

The new Epyc Supermicro boards come with this weird power setup: they have both an 8-pin CPU plug and a weird, proprietary-looking port (PJ1) that comes with an ATX adapter (CBL-PWEX-1063). I believe the Xeon D-2100 boards have the same setup:

The manual says:

Question: Can I use a 20-pin ATX cable (like that found on the PWS-203-1H PSU) with this adapter for the PJ1 port? Like so:
Question: Will this mb work (power on) if I only connect PJ1?