Recent content by marv

1. M

Two PM863 drives dead after power outage

reminds me of Intel 320 SSDs :( I recall seeing some dead 3.84TB pm863 drives on ebay and people here asking if there is way to recover them. Will try to do more search. but definitely warning slap reminding that redundancy is not backup.
  2. M

Two PM863 drives dead after power outage

Hello, yesterday after power outage due to storm, my server with two 480GB PM863 drives connected in raid1 via Dell PERC H200 started, and vmware reported no persistent storage. Checking in settings really showed no disks, rescanning H200 controller didnt change anything. Then I rebooted server...
  3. M

X9SRL-F POSTs only via BIOS recovery process

quick google search showed that it might be IPMI bug. So try updating to latest IPMI firmware.
  4. M

X9SRL-F POSTs only via BIOS recovery process

yeah, if you recover bios from usb flash, you can boot the OS. But power outage/reboot etc requires usb recovery and manually booting OS again. I bought preloaded BIOS chip from ebay, and replacing faulty one on motherboard resolved the issue.
  5. M

HP T620 thin client crashing

so, currently it seems to be issue with memory, because when I replaced the module, it started working fine.
  6. M

HP T620 thin client crashing

Hello, I bought HP T620 with 4GB ram 16GB SSD. I use 65W HP branded power supply with it. Issue with it is that it crashes after 1-2 minutes from power on. When I boot Windows 7 embedded, it shows 0x50 BSOD. If I dont boot windows, but stay in BIOS, it just hangs. After it crashes, and I power...
  7. M

LSI 9361-8i ESXi 6.7u3

Hi, you can get status manually using storcli, or there should be available smis provider vib for health monitoring.
  8. M

1000base rate support on HP 560SFP+ (Intel 82599/X520 OEM) ?

from this thread I assumed that 560SFP+ adapter doesn't have vendor lock enabled. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/patching-intel-x520-eeprom-to-unlock-all-sfp-transceivers.24634/#post-242952 I dont know if I can verify it from vmware since ethtool doesnt seem work in esxi 6.7...
  9. M

I use SFP optical transceivers, no DACs. I think these HP OEM cards don't have vendor lock for SFPs.
  10. M

Hello, I bought HP 560SFP+ used on ebay and use it in esxi 6.7 box. Problem I have with it is that it doesnt support 1Gb link rate. So when I insert SFP, link doesnt come up. Forcing 1000/full duplex also doesnt work, card states it only supports 10000BaseX/Full. I am wondering if there is any...
  11. M

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Review This is Super

Can it work with 6core/8core or will it fry itself? Does it run with 64GB RAM? Can you order barebone? Finally it a true successor to Gen8 :)
  12. M

2U narrow ilm active cooler

I have custom case with X9SRL, which has only single socket, but now it shows 45 °C and I remember that with failed fan it was showing 70°C (E5-2660v2).
  13. M

2U narrow ilm active cooler

I use Supermicro SNK-P0048AP4 and its fan can go to 8-9k rpm which is really loud. You can replace it with basically any 60x60x25mm fan. I replaced mine with Noctua A6x25. Or cheaper Arctic Cooling F6.
  14. M

Working USB-3.0 Cards with an ESXi Server?

I use card with VL 805 chip and it works fine with passthrough. PCEU-232VL PCIe controller 2+2x SuperSpeed USB | Axagon I dont touch anything RENESAS USB3 . I dont know if its drivers or something else, but anything I connected to those ports was just flapping...
  15. M

Windows Server : Rejoining new domain with same name, keeping profiles

as you mention, SID will differ, so new clean profile will be created, old one will remain intact. Then you can manually set new user's file permission on old profile folder + registry entries in ntuser.dat file. Then change profile path in registry (this worked fine in Windows 7 when I was...