Project TinyMiniMicro system for 100 Gbps networking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alpha754293

Aug 12, 2019
I was wondering if there is anybody here who might be able to recommend a TinyMiniMicro system that has at least two PCIe 3.0 x16 slot to that I can put a Mellanox ConnectX-4 100 Gbps Infiniband NIC and a dual port SFP+ 10 GbE NIC into the system along with a CPU that has at least an iGPU?

I've been having a really difficult time trying to figure out which system, out of the Project TinyMiniMicro system that has at least the dual PCIe 3.0 x16 slots that I am looking for, for this build.

I am trying to keep the physical package as small as possible, if I can and I am also trying to avoid having to use something like an AMD Ryzen Threadripper system to be able to have enough PCIe lanes fed by the CPU as well for this build.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Not to be a Negative Nancy (and I hope you are able to solve for this - it seems fun) but getting the x16 interconnect in a 1L box is one thing - cooling the 2x100gbe CX-4 is quite another. Its hard enough to keep 10gbe cards cool in that form factor.

Reactions: zunder1990

alpha754293

Aug 12, 2019
Why would the dual 10Gbit NIC need PCIe3x16?
Thank you.

I stand corrected.

It would appear that the minimum that I would need for dual 10 Gbps SFP+ would be at least PCIe 2.0 x8.

Are there any compact/Project TinyMiniMicro systems that would have a PCIe 3.0 x16 and a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot?

Thank you.

alpha754293

Aug 12, 2019
Not to be a Negative Nancy (and I hope you are able to solve for this - it seems fun) but getting the x16 interconnect in a 1L box is one thing - cooling the 2x100gbe CX-4 is quite another. Its hard enough to keep 10gbe cards cool in that form factor.
I saw on Linus Tech Tips that they just added a 40 mm Noctua fan to it, which isn't the best solution, but it also certainly isn't the worst neither.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
tinyminimicro typically dont have any PCIe slots. Just M.2.
But there is for example HP Z2 G9 Mini which has one x8 slot.

Reactions: zunder1990

alpha754293

Aug 12, 2019
Yeah, that's what making this project so difficult, is to find a system that actually supports the physical slots, but in a small enough form factor to keep the space that it will take up to a minimum.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Many of the Lenovo's have PCIe options. Again - mostly x8 electrical.

alpha754293

Aug 12, 2019
You should consider building your own box.

Here is some inspiration: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/never-say-never.34196/
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, but again, I was having difficulty trying to keep the system in a relatively small(er) package (or at least smaller than my mid-towers).

The smallest i could find would be this Shuttle barebone . It has a pcie 4.0x16 and pcie 3.0x4. Dual 10GBe is available in 3.0x4
Would you mind posting the link to the Shuttle barebone again please?

I got an error 404 for the link that is provided in its current state (and wasn't really sure which Shuttle barebone you were trying to refer to when I went to their overall products page).

Thank you.

Your help is greatly appreciated.