Recent content by Mam89

1. M

Will this work or am I being dumb?

OP, I actually did exactly this when I first started my homelab as I only had a single 4u server. It worked just fine after a bit of set up and learning Proxmox a little better. Driver support is also much better than when I first attempted the task. That being said, everyone else is 100%...
  2. M

MikroTik S+RJ10 Review Convert SFP+ to 10Gbase-T Inexpensively

Anyone know if these will work in those cheap Aruba S2500 switches?
  3. M

8TB Easystore USB HDDs @ BestBuy/eBay $120

Not an issue for me, I'm in Southern California. There's return locations for me at every corner haha!
  4. M

Wow, busy holidays! Hope everyone in the States had a great Thanksgiving! To answer the question, no I'm not shucking. I'm actually using the drive as is plugged into my home workstation. It's been a great veeam backup location and has all my proxmox vms backed up nicely so far. I did an...
  5. M

Got my drive yesterday, opened it up and was surprised to hear a tictak (little plastic tab) bouncing around inside. With a little dread, I plugged it into my workstation and did a basic scan on it to made sure everything was okay. No bad sectors, drive works, 100% good (whew!). Set up Veeam...
  6. M

In for one, free shipping next day :D I've been needing a backup device to move my VMs off my single Proxmox host. Going to configure that host as a FreeNAS box and run iscsi to compute nodes without local storage.
  7. M

MikroTik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM 12-Port 10GbE Switch Review

Looking at the pictures, those are standard form factor fans and connectors. AKA, with a little ingenuity it could be MUCH quieter. Of course, if it's a super hot set of chips on that board, it might be better to just use what's there.... I'll wait for one of you brave souls to give it a shot...
  8. M

Configure Your Own Jellyfish Fryer All-Flash NAS

The whole idea of direct attached shared storage via FreeNAS is laughable. That's kinda taking FreeNAS and removing the NAS part.... Like Patrick said, just add a freaking switch! The cost of going from individual 40Gb -> Thunderbolt Direct Attached will cost so much more when scaling past a...
  9. M

Supermicro AS-E301-9D-8CN4 Review Embedded EPYC Appliance

These could be used for several different network appliances. Video/Surveillance and Audio/VoIP for (really) remote locations. The CPU allows the ability to transcode and compress on the fly. 4 SATA SSD speed would be acceptable for that.
  10. M

Supermicro BigTwin E1.S EDSFF Edition Launched

Any sign of a winning form factor coming through? So far we've got 4-5 different forms of tapping into NVMe in the datacenter. It's a bit confusing, and honestly just keeping this technology back when it needs to move forward. The positives seem to be a no brainer, and with AMD EPYC and PCIe...
  11. M

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Navi and 16C Ryzen 3950X Launches at E3

I'm loving the core counts, but still a little upset that the memory isn't moving up like they should be. Only recently, to my knowledge, has Intel officially supported 128GB in 4 DIMMs. But, those 32GB sticks are still elusive outside of RDIMM... We want more memory!! All the Chrome Tabs!
  12. M

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720q Tiny Compact PC Review

Do to past experiences with these Micro Form Factor (MFF) PCs, from all brands, my advise is to stay far away from extended usage or intensive tasks, AKA Server. I've seen countless of these devices come in and have warranty work done because of failed motherboard, and never have I seen a...
  13. M

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

I think you're all arguing apples and oranges. This is targeted at replacing aging entry level compute/storage servers. Read SMB (nowhere near enterprise). EPYC/Ryzen embedded is embedded, which is a whole other ballgame for use cases and taget market. The price tags alone will tell that...
  14. M

This would hit where the Epyc 3000 leaves us in a rut: form factor with available expansion. This thing would be the swiss army knife of homelab/smb as long as it's memory is on par with Epyc 3000. Heres another vote for some STH review love!
  15. M

I'll wait until someone else is brave enough to test with >16GB dimms, if it can fit 4 32GB then it's a no brainer for my homelab.