Recent content by LaMerk

1. L

Bare-metal, single node iSCSI SAN software with web-based UI that doesn't use ZFS, costs nothing and is actively developed

It will work even on single node, however, without replication/HA. I was using it in my homelab and you can use a single machine.
  2. L

Custom Made SAN for VMware (Linux/FC)

Starwind added support of FC - StarWind Virtual SAN for vSphere Configuring Fibre Channel - Resource Library . Such setup eliminates SPOF compared to standalone Linux storage server. With replicated storage servers you’ll need: dual port HBA in each compute host; 3 x FC ports in each storage...
  3. L

StarWind NVMEof Initiator

I used NVMe-of initiator to connect PureStorage targets. It works, the IOPS is significant better compared to iSCSI. The interface might be confusing, because Windows shows NVMe-Targets as iSCSI-Targets in Initiator, but it doesn’t affect the performance. Multipathing , TCP, RDMA are supported...
  4. L

SAN HA storage software options

Starwind has free version - Software Defined Storage for the HCI • StarWind Virtual SAN ® Free . It is managed only with PowerShell but can be monitored with GUI. And certainly, only community support. We use starwind’s commercial version for cluster of 3 nodes – it just works. Updates comes...
  5. L

Need a SAN upgrade for our FreeNAS & Xen-XCP Cluster - Starwinds VSAN?

That's basically how Starwind works. Since their Linux-based version does not support the "storage-separate" converged scenario, I have made V2P and run installed it bare-metal on two separate servers. From what I faced, the storage subsystem performs the same as being a passthrough to Starwind...
  6. L

Nutanix CE

From what I have fount, 18TB should be assumed as a storage limit for a single node. 4x SSDs/HDDs are max drives per node. Nutanix Community Edition! be warned: You are going to buy new lab gear! Building a HCI Lab with Nutanix Community Edition
  7. L

Small and cheap laptop recommendations

Being a ThinkPad fan, right no my main workstation is X1G2. However, its predecessor was X230. I think it satisfies your requirements, or make them most. It has/can have a decedent 9-cell battery, i5/i7 2nd gen CPU and two SSDs (mSATA and SATA). It has 2 USB3 ports, can have Bluetooth v4 card...
  8. L

Robocopy changes , GUI Backup

Oh, what is the use case? I have switched from gs richcopy360 to rclone + rclonebrowser. They are free to use doing the same upload of the changed data from a source to a target.
  9. L

Single node loopback storage VM?

Actually, for single node you should use either Hardware or Software RAID. NAS and SAN are not about local redundancy. In my opinion h/w RAID preferred. Software RAID is defined by the OS you run on the node – for windows Storage Spaces, for Linux – mdadm or lvm. Running VM inside for single...
  10. L

HP DL380 G7 x2 - what to do?

You should choose what is more important for you - 24/7 stable system with good performance or low energy usage. In your system the CPU is the biggest power consumer.
  11. L

Need an opinion on smart phone selection

My vote for Samsung Note 9
  12. L

Tiered Storage Space-2016 vs 2019

In Windows 2019 there are issues with tiered spaces on NTFS (it writes in cold tier only). Wiht ReFS no issues have been detected.
  13. L

Trying to decide: FreeNAS, Unraid, Rockstor, Proxmox, etc.

You can try StarWind VSAN as a solution for compute and storage scenario. StarWind present storage as iSCSI targets to the hypervisors. They have versions for Windows and for ESXi and provide the really good performance of HA storage. The free version is also available so you can do a test and...
  14. L

Windows 10 C3 Sleep Issues

Have someone have solution for this issue with sleep state?
  15. L

No Users Showing up after leaving windows domain

You can check next article from Microsoft for user auditing: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/556015