Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other OS/VSAN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're crazy

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • You're crazy, like a fox...

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ouroboros

Jul 26, 2012
I'm trying to get a feel for alternatives to using Storage Spaces on a single node workstation tower due to the minimum requirements and inefficiencies of Storage Spaces when using multi-resilient volumes (mirror journal tier, mirror cache tier, dual parity bulk tier leads to a minimum 3+3+7 configuration).

With Windows 2019 (and perhaps a future windows 10 Pro version after 1903 if the SKU lockout is released, perhaps if hibernation is disabled), one could do Hyper-V discrete device assignment (DDA) for DDA NVMe PCIe passthrough to a local storage VM, then present the resulting storage back to the host workstation as a loopback iSCSI mount. A FreeNAS VM could use ZFS to have better device efficiency, and being pure NVMe would mean ZFS has complete control of the storage rather than through an abstraction, but is this even close to realistic?

How are others handling local storage for single node machines if one is not satisfied with Storage Spaces, but want something other than traditional hardware RAID? Would Starwind VSAN be more reasonable even in a single node loopback scenario?

LaMerk

Jun 13, 2017
Actually, for single node you should use either Hardware or Software RAID. NAS and SAN are not about local redundancy. In my opinion h/w RAID preferred. Software RAID is defined by the OS you run on the node – for windows Storage Spaces, for Linux – mdadm or lvm. Running VM inside for single system is a bad idea with decreased performance and less stability.

Starwind vsan is a great software for storage virtualization and high availability, but it is not a local software RAID. There is an article which describes single node high availability with Starwind for home lab - https://www.hyper-v.io/setting-windows-failover-cluster-home-lab/

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I've used a "loopback vm" to test things before when I didn't have physical hardware for a 10gbe link but I wouldn't suggest it for this scenario, a cheap raid card would likely be my first choice.