Need an opinion on smart phone selection

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
If I can get a samsung note 9 or huawey p30 pro for around 450$ for us market.
What is the better choice.
As it is they both fit my basic criteria

1 big screen
2 big ram
3 fast cpu
4 waterproof
5 wireless charging
6 good cameras.

What is the better choice?
Again I am in US. My carirer is tmo.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I like both devices, but given the trade war between the US and China and Huawei being used as a pawn in said game, the Android OS on it will not be getting updated. Of course Huawei have stated that they knew this was coming, so they may well come out with their own OS for it at some later stage, however that ma be some time away. The safe bet would be the Samsung. They are both great handsets though :)

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Thanks. I figured I will look at samsung first anyway. Just bid on one at 415 right now. Will see.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Thanks. Just got one in mint ,supposedly, condition. Will see when it gets here.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
I don't have an opinion on either, but I have a word of caution, that may or may not apply. I have owned a number of Android phones before going to the Pixel 6. I won't own another brand of Android phone ever again. With the other brands I was locked out of my company's network waiting on software upgrades to be released (several times, not an uncommon occurrence). Motorola was the worst in my experience. At least with Google, you never have to wait. Plus I like the minimalist approach to the OS that Google takes compared to the bloatware from some other suppliers.

Reactions: fohdeesha

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I was tempted to switch to the other side, but luckily my company paid for my last to iphones.
I'd say stay away from Samsung devices. OnePlus 11 5G is a bit over your budget.
Also iPhone 12 Pro Max should be doable under $450 or so.
Also Pixel 7A should be decent choice as well, except for 3D gaming.

p.s: Water proof doesn't really exist except the marketing. In real life Water Resistant is best you should plan for. - IE: Don't your phone swimming/diving.