Recent content by koifish59

1. K

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

$1700 after a $700 discount. Guess I'll wait another 5 years for a refurb.
  2. K

wifi-6 is not the same as 6ghz wifi band :p. I just haven't seen any devices that we can buy that uses wifi-6e and probably won't be at least a few years out until it gets adopted, like Vesalius pointed out.
  3. K

So... where can I buy a 6ghz wifi device o_O
  4. K

Xeon D-1700 vs D-2700 Ice Lake

These both have the same architect, but core for core, it looks like the D-1700 is faster and more power efficient. For example, compare the D-1736NT and D-2733NT, where both have the same 8c/16t and 15mb cache. D-2733 uses 19% more power (at least on paper), but is 29% slower base clock. Why...
  5. K

Hardware / Network Layout Recommendations, Emphasis on Redundancy

I would not depend on this microtik switch if it's running in a crucial environment for your business. It's popular because it's the cheapest 10gbe switch available, but it's known to have issues from the get-go. I would trust a used ICX6610 to last longer than that new microtik. Option 3 would...
  6. K

found my perfect HOME switch :)

Ruckus has 2 separate models for PoE injectors that's specific to 1g and multi gig: 902-0180-US00 (10/100/1000mbps) 902-1180-US00 (multigigabit) So I'm assuming not ALL 1g PoE injectors will be able to go higher. If any injectors do, then I think it might just be straight passthrough from the...
  7. K

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

ICX6450-48p. Same as your current one, but probably less power, so I'm not sure that's really an "upgrade"
  8. K

Suggestions for 4TB NVMe for VMs?

I use intel p4510 4tb for standalone esxi hosts, and 8tb for vSAN capacity tier. They're a good balance between capacity, performance, and cost for VM storage. You can find a used one on ebay with 98% endurance life remaining for about $400-500
  9. K

It's gonna cost ya :p $200 for the Aquantia Aqs-107 NBase-T module and another $100 for the ruckus multigig PoE+ injector
  10. K

I guess only time will tell. My first qnap product, still too new for me to have any other opinion other than it supports all my current devices in a single package without issues so far.
  11. K

Any suggestion on how I can test this? The single device would have to have wifi-6 and 4 internal antennas to max out the 2.5g of the AP. I have two macbook pros, but these wouldn't qualify (unless I use both to aggregate the speed).
  12. K

PoE+ switch with SFP+ suggestion for new house with Ethernet everywhere.

If you're willing to go with Prosumer hardware instead of used enterprise, then consider the QNAP QSW-M2116P-2T2S. It checks off almost every one of your requirements except redundant PSU and number of ports you use, which you can just add another ICX 7250-24 or 6450-24. I was in the almost...
  13. K

It's the QNAP QSW-M2116P-2T2S :D Let me start with the shortcomings. It costs 3x more than a good deal on popular used enterprise switches, it's only L2, and probably not as reliable. But the main selling point is that it has multigig 2.5g PoE+ and 10g PoE++ which is very hard to come by...
  14. K

Hardware / Network Layout Recommendations, Emphasis on Redundancy

You should be able to achieve this for a lot less than $2k if you're willing to buy used enterprise gear. OPNsense isn't too demanding for hardware. But just make sure your ISP provides at least 3 IP addresses for OPNsense high availability since you're using CARP. A pair of stacked ICX6610 is...
  15. K

largest SSD for NAS

I'm looking for recommendations for the largest SSD for a TrueNAS box. I do not have enough ports or pcie lanes for NVMe, so ideally SATA drives, and used enterprise ones. If all else fails, I'll pick up some Samsung 870 QVO 8TB ones.