Recent content by josh

1. J

16TB WD Easystore External USB 3.0 Hard Drive $254.99 @ Best Buy

That's great. I'll be getting some on the next drop I guess.
  2. J

16TB WD Easystore External USB 3.0 Hard Drive $254.99 @ Best Buy

Can you check if it supports TLER? I read somewhere they don't have it at all and you can't even turn it on like the smaller drives
  3. J

3090 driver handicap?

Have you tried replacing the thermal pads on the blower 3090s? The memory junction is constantly above 95C and I'm worried about the card lifespan
  4. J

Quanta QuantaGrid D52B-1U - Skylake, 25GbE NIC, Rails - $324.99 + SH

So the last time I bought Quanta D51B-2Us they came with an older BIOS that didn't support V4 CPUs. I tried updating with the packages on the official Quanta website and the update wouldn't go through. Looked everywhere for other packages and nothing worked. 4 months later I still have 3...
  5. J

Need help: Budget UnRaid server with Core or Ryzen, NVMe...

TR4 motherboards are still ridiculously priced for no upgrade path
  6. J

WD Elements 16TB External - $279

Not sure if it's still the case now but the Elements I bought during 2020 have 3 years warranty vs the 2 years on the EasyStores from the same period
  7. J

TR chips are a whole new price range though
  8. J

Yea the thing is the GPU doesn't really need 4.0 running at x16. So it doesn't make any sense to opt for that instead of x8/x8. At least Asus had the common sense to take a 3rd x8 from the chipset for a 3rd card. I know desktop users prefer to have direct NVMe slots but for the prosumer/server...
  9. J

No ECC on Intels. Out of the picture completely.
  10. J

Yea I've looked at all the "server" boards and they're only by ASRR for some reason. Ryzen 5000 should have 20x PCIe 4.0 lanes after interconnect so 8 + 8 + 4 shouldn't be a huge ask. Looks like I have to stick with my dual 2011s for a few more years. The X570 Pro WS has everything I need but...
  11. J

I've been tempted to go the AMD route for some time but the lack of PCIe slots for the motherboard just frustrates me. Need to stick 2x GPUs on the board (only need 4.0 x8 each) and preferably an additonal x4 slot but all the "server" boards are all mATX for some dumb reason.
  12. J

Zen3 or Rocketlake?

Biggest problem with Intel is the lack of ECC support. If they haven't added it back on the 11th Gen they'll still be losing out on the home lab/server target group.
  13. J

Zen3 or Rocketlake?

The 5800X is the worst value chip. There's a reason why it's been in stock for weeks now at MSRP everywhere. Wait for the 5900X. The price is only $50 more than the 3900X.
  14. J

3090 driver handicap?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3609863/blower-style-rtx-3090-cards-are-disappearing-and-thats-bad-for-prosumers.html Nvidia forcing AIBs to remove blower 3090s. Thankfully I already bought 2 of them :)
  15. J

LGA 2011-3 Upgrade Path?

The i9-10850K + Prime Z490-A combo is $450 at Newegg if anyone's having trouble deciding