Recent content by John M.

1. J

No idle disks with Intel raid on Windows?

Hi, I'm using the onboard intel raid on Windows. But the disks from my raid array don't seem to spin down... any idea what could be causing this? It is set in the intel storage management. And in the windows power management plan. But they keep spinning... just keep spinning...
  2. J

Does windows software raid write stipes on creation?

Thx for the feedback, giving this intel raid thing a try on my z690 board. Heard from Wendell it's not so bad as it used to be :-).
  3. J

Does windows software raid write stipes on creation?

Just removed my ancient Areca 1222 controller because I need the PCIe slot for something else. Figured why not try windows storage spaces with my 7 4TB disks. (I always keep a live backup of all my data somewhere else :-) Well can't select REFS no more on windows 10 Pro because they took it...
  4. J

64GB Ram in HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Desktop Mini?

The max memory spec for the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 usff is 32GB, but in my experience you can sometimes exceed this? Any experiences with 2x 32GB dimms? Regards, Karel.
  5. J

Adding an additonal NIC to and HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini

Hey all, I'm hoping to add a VM with Pfsense to my proxmox server. I was successfull, but I have to use a USB NIC with a realtek chip for my WAN port and it is absolutely horrible in terms of stability. Anyone any other suggestions? Intel and Broadcom only seem to make PCIE NIC's... Thx for...
  6. J

Tiny, mini, micro + 10GbE SPF+ with mini pcie riser.

Hi, Wondering if this crazy thing would work: Use one of these risers: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Delock-Interface-Express-Flexible-41359/dp/B00ABFDNRG/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2ZC7WN9O7HYIQ&keywords=mini+pcie+riser&qid=1663328221&sprefix=mini+pcie+riser%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-14 To add a MLX connectX-3...
  7. J

15w mobile CPU in a 2U chassis?

not enough sata?
  8. J

15w mobile CPU in a 2U chassis?

Any suggestions on getting an intel U class CPU (or 15w equivalent) in a 2U form factor? I'm looking to replace my current X9 board with E3-1220 v2 cpu because of power concerns. But I would like to keep some (3x) SATA interfaces around for my SSD's to keep things simple. Dual NIC or PCIe...
  9. J

Best idle power consumption with modern hardware?

Hi everyone, I'm running a Supermicro X9SCL-F with an e3-1270 v2 in a Supermicro 2U CSE-825 chassis with a 500watt gold PSU. I only have 3 Sata ssd's for system and data. I run proxmox with a bunch of VM's. Pfsense, unifi controller, pihole, nextcloud server... When all services are running...
  10. J

Cheap way to adapt 3.5" drive trays to 2.5"

Is there a cheap way to adapt 3,5" supermicro disk carriers to 2.5"? Supermicro sells them separately (MCP-220-00043-0N) but they are quite pricey. Especially since I have the carrier already and I just need the steel adapter. You can find adapters online, the challenge is to make sure the...
  11. J

The truth about CPU power consumption

Yes of course, did I miss something? I'm specifically wondering if the X9 LGA 1155 boards use more then the X9 2011 boards in terms of chipsets etc. And if an E3-1220v2 cpu uses more power at idle then a E5-2650V2 or E5-2620V2. They have different TDP's but as mentioned in the first post that...
  12. J

The truth about CPU power consumption

Hello, currently I'm running an E3-1220 v2 in an intel motherboard. Without any disks and in idle the platform pulls about 33watt from the wall in a supermicro 2U chassis and with desktop 80mm fans. I really want to change to a Supemicro board because this intel one gives me too much issues...
  13. J

Best bang for the buck CPU platform? (on the used market)

Can you tell me what memory worked for you on the board? Is it on the compatibility list of AsRock? THX!
  14. J

Best bang for the buck CPU platform? (on the used market)

This Platinum 8124M route does seem interesting, can only find one reference on youtube where it seems to work in an Asrock server board. I can't seem to get this board in Europe. The ebay listings also mention Gigabyte boards like the Gigabyte C621-WD12 that seems readily available.. But can't...
  15. J

Intel 8124m board compatibility

Any luck with the gigabyte C621-WD12?