Recent content by JayG30

1. J

Wireless AP selection

I am big on used enterprise gear and have multiple servers, switches, etc that I use for personal and commercial environments. I know the Ruckus stuff is good. But it sure seems like some of the new WiFi 6 stuff is as good or better performance, while being enough feature rich and stable enough...
  2. J

Wireless AP selection

I've used UniFi for over 10 years in deployments. The UniFi AP Pro (pre AC devices) was a big one that I had deployed way back. Things were great. Then in the past, I'd say, 5 years I've been rather unhappy with them. I had horrific experiences with their devices and windows DHCP servers...
  3. J

Wireless AP selection

Yes, the R710 is only a wifi 5 wave 2 device. However, you can find a lot of people say they rather have a enterprise quality device like the 710 over wifi 6. Which is the reason for the question. You can find multiple threads in the past 2 years (including on this forum) about using the R710...
  4. J

Wireless AP selection

From what I've read the EnGenius and TP-Link are very similar hardware, identical in the core parts, but TP-Link is a bit cheaper. TP-Link is a much larger chassis. Reviews I've read have given performance results an edge to the TP-Link. Biggest negative of all these units that I've seen is no...
  5. J

Wireless AP selection

Hi. I know a lot of people praise the Ruckus units with unleashed firmware. And I can understand why, especially if you could purchased something like an R710 a year or so ago for <$200. However that just doesn't seem like the market today. The best I've managed to find right now is $250 and...
  6. J

LSI HBA BIOS disk ID

This is something that has always frustrated me. I don't understand how the BIOS comes up with these disk names/IDs. I've looked in the LSI configuration utility and I can see the #0700 and #8300 are the PCI slots. But the "IDXX" for the disks isn't referenced in the LSI utilities or using...
  7. J

Proxmox networks

I'm relatively new to Proxmox and I'm looking for insight on proper setup of Proxmox networking. It seems there are various networks that need to be considered. Admin (gui/ssh), cluster (corosync), storage, migration/replication, external network for guest VM's, and maybe more I'm missing. What...
  8. J

S3500 480GB $129

Any opinion on grabbing one of these as a cheap SSD for laptop(s)? I'm ashamed to say I've never used a datacenter drive in a laptop, primarily samsung evo drives or something else cheap. But these look like a decent option.
  9. J

FreeNAS Corral dataset replication

Corral replication still requires snapshots, correct? I'd imagine if no snapshot job is setup it won't actually perform a replication. I wonder if people are forgetting to do that? I haven't had a chance to test the Corral release (have two 9.10 systems in production and can't risk any issues...
  10. J

My favorite thread so far in the proxmox forums

I do not like running docker in a VM. Completely counter intuitive and I think it is a poor trend honestly. Fine for "development" but completely backwards for production. There are many reasons why I feel this way (performance, provisioning, management, visibility, and more) that have been...
  11. J

LSI 3008 SW Controller

Why don't you just setup storage spaces on the Hyper-V host? No need to passthrough the drives to windows server. I've used the 3008 controller to setup a Hyper-V Server 2016 host using Storage Spaces (tiered storage of 2SSD in RAID1 +4HDD in RAID10) and it works fine.
  12. J

ProxMox vs OMV vs UnRaid vs Debian/Centos w/ Docker + KVM vs Rancher

Was looking at RancherOS (had not heard of it before). Seems they have the ability to run KVM VM's wrapped inside a Docker container, which is neat. What types of storage is supported by RancherOS? I'm seeing some references to EXT4 and ZFS support. With ZFS that sounds like a really nice combo...
  13. J

Interested in SmartOS/FIFO - migration from ESXi experiences?

I feel like I (or somebody) should make video tutorials on setting up and testing all the things you can do with Triton. Been messing with it for the past few months and have worked through many of the initial steps I didn't understand. Like creating windows VM image/template, migrating running...
  14. J

Azure Stack preview now up.

From what I read a while back people are not happy with MS about Azure Stack. They decided to change the way they will release Azure stack (and pushed the release date back). So instead of a software only release they are going with an appliance release. So you won't be able to run on any...
  15. J

R2224GZ4GC4 E5 v1/v2 24x2.5 Barebones HINT

Ah, ok. I don't have any 12gbps disk to try myself but seem likely. I'm assuming you can get SAS3 speeds through the SAS2 backplane in a supermicro A series model with the SFF-8087 connectors? I've not heard or seen anyone run SAS3 through a SAS2 backplane on these Intels though. I know 1:1...