FreeNAS Corral dataset replication

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Has anyone gotten replication jobs working between two FreeNAS Corral platforms?

FreeNAS 9.10 "zfs sync" replication has been replaced in Corral. You can still use Corral as a "target" to replicate from 9.10, but once you upgrade the "source" system you loose the existing replication.

Even though the setup for Replication on Corral seems straightforward and appears to set them up - I can't get them to actually run and replicate anything.

I know its more appropriate to post this on the FreeNAS forum (and I have). But experience tells me I'll get better answers here :).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You know, I setup a FreeNAS VM and was going to setup a second this afternoon to give it a try.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I want to know how the non ZFS replication works. It says any server with SSH

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I just tested corral to corral replication, SUPER SIMPLE to setup. Let me know if ya'll want screenshots/mini-demo of the end-to-end process.

Easier than FreeNAS 9.x rep, a win for sure for the IXSystems team!

corral-to-corral-replication.png

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've gone through all the steps as I understand them but instead of replication 'running' mine always shows 'stopped' and nothing gets replicated. Strange.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Is there any way to cluster freenas? Or does replication mean that any failover is a manual approach? Thanks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The replicate afaik is simply ZFS. Nothing special here...

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Corral replication still requires snapshots, correct? I'd imagine if no snapshot job is setup it won't actually perform a replication. I wonder if people are forgetting to do that?

I haven't had a chance to test the Corral release (have two 9.10 systems in production and can't risk any issues with lagg, directory services, SMB Shares, or replication jobs). I'm going to wait it out before upgrading. Hopefully I'll get some time to test on a spare machine.

Looking at the screenshots, only thing I think they need to implement into the GUI for replication is the "resume" option for zfs send/receive (-s flag). Should have an option to turn on/off because having it on will cause ZFS to save the state of replication holding disk space until the job is completed or you manually delete the replication. Freenas hasn't done resume zfs send/receive by default and it wasn't that long ago that it was implemented into FreeNAS (to run from CLI). I suspect they aren't doing this by default when setup in the GUI (could be wrong) and you probably have to run this type of replication from CLI. But I think it certainly can (and eventually will) become a GUI feature.