Recent content by drdepasquale

1. D

Lots of Optical Drives

Optical drives rarely work on LSI SAS cards
  2. D

Dual EPYC 7B13 overheating issue

I could see that these would run a little hotter with a higher TDP. These are still far cooler and more efficient when compared to a consumer grade CPU of the same or higher TDP.
  3. D

Dual EPYC 7B13 overheating issue

That appears to be running awfully hot! What do the temperatures show in other operating systems? I have a machine with the same CPU coolers used for Monero mining and it never runs hotter than 55C even with 225 Watt processors.
  4. D

Remove Legacy BIOS From 9361-8i?

Erasing the OptionROM of the card may break its functionality
  5. D

Installing Client/Desktop Versions of Windows on Systems with AMD EPYC Processors

The limitation of 64 threads per group is no longer present in newer versions of Windows. Windows will treat this setup as two physical processors each with 96 Cores/192 Threads. Prior to Windows 11/Server 2022, this particular configuration would appear as six processors. Most programs are only...
  6. D

Installing Client/Desktop Versions of Windows on Systems with AMD EPYC Processors

Windows 11 no longer uses processor groups so a 96 Core processor will only be treated as one. Eariler versions of Windows would treat a 96 Core processor as three processors. Since this limitation no longer exists the Pro SKU of Windows 11 is enough to work with this processor. If you need more...
  7. D

AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2

That's strange, I've seen the HDD LED work even before I've attached any SATA drives to my H12DSi-NT6
  8. D

micro sd card reader on H11dsi MB

It does not function as a normal SD card reader as it is reserved for IPMI. To use a regular SD Sard slot with this motherboard connect an SD Card reader to the USB header or a PCI Express slot.
  9. D

AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2

The Broadcom 10G Ethernet runs about 74C no matter how much load is on the network even in a large, well ventilated chassis. The temperatures are the same across all Supermicro H12 boards.
  10. D

Windows Server 2022/Windows 11 did away with processor grouping

Does Windows 10 and earlier actually treat the 65+ thread count CPUs as mutliple sockets in the form of lisensing? Or does it just appear as multiple sockets?
  11. D

Windows Server 2022/Windows 11 did away with processor grouping

This should make a big difference in less optimized programs. I have a dual 32-Core machine, most of the time only one CPU is being utilized by a particular program.
  12. D

Whats the deal with U.2 enterprise SSDs selling so cheap?

Supermicro eStore also has NVMe U.2 drives for good prices. I much prefer the 2.5" drives compared to the m.2 drives that overheat.
  13. D

64GB LRDIMM DDR3 ECC ram for $20 or less

Even Supermicro's EATX boards aren't quite standard. I've drilled extra standoffs in my chassis so that the boards are supported.
  14. D

This is great find! Finding a chassis for these EEATX motherboards is challenging though
  15. D

It's incrediable how much memory prices have plummeted in the past year! DDR4 now costs as much as DDR3 used to and now DDR3 costs as much as DDR2 used to.