Recent content by chicken-of-the-cave

1. C

Inter-VLAN routing pegs Atom CPU to 100% in 100G Celestica Seastone DX010 L3 switch

I also noticed this on the documentation as well:
  2. C

Inter-VLAN routing pegs Atom CPU to 100% in 100G Celestica Seastone DX010 L3 switch

Try a different version of SONiC, like an older stream/branch (2021 for example). Your CPU never be pegged ever when it comes to frame/packet forwarding, and it's a lack of utilizing the Broadcom Tomahawk ASIC. Sounds like bug with the SONiC version that affects the DX010 switch. Go here for...
  3. C

Crossflash Oracle CX556A to Mellanox OEM?

Seems like the MST tools has already started. This might be redundant, but could you try: mst start then try the above commands again (mst status and flint)?
  4. C

I would retry the steps with a Linux Live image (i.e.: booting Ubuntu Server from a USB stick for instance). VMWare ESX has a very limited CLI and likely meant for troubleshooting ESX as opposed to leveraging it as a Linux distro.
  5. C

SONiC ready for primetime in Layer2?

IMHO, VLAN tagging and rate limiting should not be a concern an issue on SONiC. That said, there are vendors that are offering support for SONiC, however I am not confident if Celestica did not offer any support for SONiC.
  6. C

Transceiver brand for SONIC/Celestica switch

I put in Finisar 40G QSFP's into a few Celestica DX010 that I have, they work no problem. Since the DX010 are 100G switches, I had to set the speed for the switchports from 100G to 40G in order for them to get a link light.
  7. C

Any transceiver QSFP 56GbE for LC-LC fiber cables?

I don't believe LC-LC fibre cables can do anything beyond 10G or 25G, as this would be viewed as a "maximum single fibre" connection based on today's capabilities of SFP/QSFP's can do. Anything beyond 10G/25G speeds are achieved through some sort of "bonding" or "concatenated" fibres working...
  8. C

You are right, there are no pins but it does have the "FNP / JP2" solder points. IMHO, thats basically your way forward. You would need to short those solder pins where " FNP / JP2 " is somehow to force your HPE-branded card into image recovery mode. Once you reflash, you need to remove whatever...
  9. C

Figured it out. Poked around, and this tidbit from the nVIDIA/Mellanox documentation helped shed some reasoning (thought I could do something with signing the Mellanox firmware and work with the ' secure-fw ' flag instead, but realized that keys are not recoverable. That said, keys should never...
  10. C

Thanks! I'll look into that. Edit: November 20: So the CX5's do have a firmware recovery jumper. See my post below.
  11. C

I have an Asus Server and running into the same issue. I was able to boot it with another server, but the ' dmesg ' output in Linux is showing weird errors here and there. I guess more research is needed on my end before I attempt a YOLO.
  12. C

I am in the same boat as you. I have the Oracle CX556's as well from eBay, and I ran into this post after from searching. One observation I made is that the PSID between Mellanox and Oracle Mellanox cards are different (Mellanox OEM starts with MT_ whereas Oracle Mellanox cards start with...
  13. C

Colocation Router Needed

Would you consider [pf,Open]Sense? With a 1U Xeon server, you can easily achieve 10gbps (i.e.: Xeon v2 and up). Leveraging AES for VPN should yield amazing results. Having an IPMI port would be advantageous for out-of-band access. If you need ports, 4 x GigE RJ45 PCIe NICs are easily available...
  14. C

Cisco ASR920

Any production router from any vendor will do the trick. If the routing table is small, then you should be good with ASR920. Out of curiosity, what is the hardware that you are running VyOS on? Routing on software should be very easy with modern hardware. Things will bog down as you add...
  15. C

What router for 300 Gbps of traffic with support for multiple BGP full route tables?

DANOS would likely be choices that could do 300gbps, but too new / immature today. TNSR probably be okay, but there isn't much NICs that support 400gbps working on FreeBSD as per my understanding. There is support for TNSR so that is a plus especially for this throughput. BSDRP is all CPU...