SONiC ready for primetime in Layer2?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

salvadorb

Jul 14, 2021
Hi guys,
I hope you're all doing good. I have been playing with a Celestica DX010 running SONiC for the last weeks (and reading a lot about SONiC) and I'm curious what is your opinion about the readiness of the platform for a production environment?

We currently use Arista DCS-7060CX-32S switches for basic layer2 functionality, mainly the following features:
- VLANs (trunks and access)
- Port-Security (1 MAC per port)
- Rate limit per port/vlan

Unfortunately used DCS-7060CX-32S prices are on the roof lately, and we are looking for an alternative, and it looks like the DX010 with SONiC could fit it perfectly, but I'm curious if SONiC is stable/bug-free enough for production?

Thanks

Best regards

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Not sure why you worry about sonic v2 basic of the basic stuff yet don't worry putting atom c2000 in production... Am i missing something here?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not sure why you worry about sonic v2 basic of the basic stuff yet don't worry putting atom c2000 in production... Am i missing something here?
hahaha, maybe not aware of that, I didn’t know it from top of my head but I would have no doubt looked it I was going to deploy switches.

Evan Cisco Switches like the N9236c offered sonic images and that’s 100G, but older now. No idea how common it was or if there was new models also supporting.
I don’t have much touch with open source switch gear but the hyperscalers have been running for a few generations now.

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
Azure uses Sonic in production. It is probably fine for your use case :).

chicken-of-the-cave

Mar 13, 2020
IMHO, VLAN tagging and rate limiting should not be a concern an issue on SONiC.
That said, there are vendors that are offering support for SONiC, however I am not confident if Celestica did not offer any support for SONiC.