Recent content by bp_968

1. B

Trouble forcing 4k / ashift=12, need help with SD.conf

Thanks for the info. Since I already have a 2TB spare that also gets seen as a 512byte drive and works fine in the array I'll just stick with it at ashift=9. I keep rotated backups of everything anyway :)
  2. B

So i tried some more settings since I obviously had the wrong stuff plugged into SD.CONF. I updated it with the correct names of my drives and even tried doing it "wildcard" like suggested by napp-it but nothing works. If I remember correctly the WD RED drives report 4k sectors to the OS and...
  3. B

I just can't seem to get it to force 4k even though the majority of the drives are 4k drives (only 2 of the 10 are not 4k!!). Its running in a ESX VM with passthrough so one of my options I think is using ZFS guru to make the pool, I was just hoping to get it all working through...
  4. B

11 disk RAIDz2 hurt performance? should it be 10 or 12 instead?

So I'm going to try it with RAIDz3 so it doesn't waste space. Its still defaulting to ashift=9 (using napp-it to make the pool). I tried just to do -o ashift=12 and make the pool at the command line but apparently the -o ashift=12 is a freeBSD thing, not a OI thing. My speeds with the 11...
  5. B

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10627065/2013-06-11%2006_48_45-OI_SAN1%20__%20network%20%26%20nas%20appliance.png There is the current performance of the 11 disk pool of 2TB drives (2 512b, 9 4k drives). So I should just turn it into raidz3 so as to not waste so much space on little files...
  6. B

I'm not concerned about performance while the pools rebuilding, again its just for archiving. So if I want things to all align and not waste lots of space I need to go with Z3 at 11 disks or Z2 at 10 disks? As for the 512b VS 4k think, 2 of the drives are 512b the rest are all 4K drives. Yet...
  7. B

I saw some mention of N+P and block/stripe sizes in regards to ZFS while searching for other info. Right now my plan was to use all 11 2TB drives I have in a large RAIDz2 pool and keep a 3TB drive I have as a hot spare or just as a spare if needed. If I'm going to seriously gimp the system...
  8. B

help with LSI 3801e (1068e) only seeing 1st drive on each port!?

I wanted to answer this so hopefully someone who runs into a similar problem can find it through google. It was a firmware problem on the cards themselves. With their old FW they were only showing one drive per 8088 port, regardless how many drives were actually there. Updating the bios/FW...
  9. B

help with LSI 3801e (1068e) only seeing 1st drive on each port!?

I have two LSI 3801e 8 external port (2 8088) PCIe cards in my new ESX machine I'm building. I am running the 8088 cables into a homemade DAS out of a 4u case. Right now I am only seeing whatever drive ends up on the first sata cable that breaks out of the 8087 4-lane SAS cable. Does...
  10. B

Cisco Switch Pricing

I agree. if you dont need/want the 10gbe ports i cant help but reccommend the dell 2716/2724/etc series. totally silent, managed, and works amazingly well. I have one that hasnt been rebooted or power cycled for a couple of years. compare that to the worthless consumer router/switches that...
  11. B

Wanted: 24-bay c6100

Just to help out a bit I'd like to remind people that if you sell something on ebay and use paypal to collect your money your average fees come out to 14% of your sale price. So if you wanted, say, 500$ for your c6100 (I have no idea, I'm just tossing a random number out there) then you could...
  12. B

IB Question

Well when I did a point to point using various IB cards I ran the subnet manager on my windows client. No problems at all. You could probably run it inside a VM and run two copies on the same VM if you put each nic in a different virtual switch. I got 550MB/s copying from a SSD to a RAMdrive...
  13. B

Take a look and help me verify my open indiana ZFS is ready for "production"?

So here is two questions: First: Can I remove a vdev mirror set from the pool and "shrink" it or do I need to pull the data off it, destroy the pool and recreate it with 6 drives instead of 8? What kind of performance hit would I likely see dropping those two disks? My thought process here...
  14. B

ZFS stripped mirror set degraded. Disk really bad? how to check?

I ended up (on porpose) swapping the two drives to different bays to make sure there isn't a backplane or cable issue. It resilvered c7t16d0 without issues and then I did a "zpool offline" on the "bad" disk, put it back into the slot c7t16d0 used to be and then "cleared" it and then "replaced"...
  15. B

ZFS stripped mirror set degraded. Disk really bad? how to check?

I pulled c7t16d0 apparently. ;) It was a different mirror so now that RAID10 has taken 2 "hits". lol I'm impressed. Going to have to dig around and see if it makes sense (it shows me pulling drive 3 from top to bottom and I thought I pulled either 4 or 8 based on how I have it cabled...)