Recent content by Allan74

1. A

PFsense on Hyper-V

- Intel SR2612URR 2U 12x3.5" Bay Servers (Dual LGA1366, Intel S5520UR Motherboard) - Onboard Intel Gbit nics are invisible to ESXi (I only have 3 PCIe slots in the server to add to, so these 2 onboard are important). - Chelsio 10Gbit Dual SFP+ Offload NICs are flaky in Linux, BSD (S320e-CR) I...
  2. A

PFsense on Hyper-V

There is a single 2.5Gbit port on the back of their modem/router. I will be running it in bridge mode, yes. Alternatively, my current TOR is a Netgear MS510TX, so even if forced to use the ISP hardware, I can still get the full speed out of the connection to the PCs in my home that need/want...
  3. A

2016 vs. 2019 Hyper-V

I know my hardware is all 2016 friendly, as I am running it all already in a separate installation on metal. My question is, is there anything that I would be missing from 2019 if I chose to just deploy 2016 Hyper-V Server ? I should also add, this will be an edge installation for PFsense and...
  4. A

PFsense on Hyper-V

The wife said that I can get >1Gbit Internet if it doesn't require me to spend any cash on new parts. It's either I make these couple of Realtek 2.5Gbit NICs that I already own, work, or I am stuck using the ISP's crappy modem/router/firewall combo that completely ties my hands.
  5. A

PFsense on Hyper-V

I almost feel dirty for asking this, but is anyone using Hyper-V for their home PFsense deployment and/or misc SDN or Security ? Or Hyper-V on the edge for anything ? I have a use case where my antiquated hardware is all Server 2016 friendly, dropped hardware support in ESXi and finicky in...
  6. A

Anyone have a collection of Intel SR26xxx Chassis / S5520UR Motherboard Legacy Firmware etc. ?

I am wondering if anyone has a collection of the last BIOS, Firmware etc. for Intel S5520UR Motherboards (Dual CPU LGA1366) and/or Intel SR2612URR 2U 12bay chassis ? I have a couple systems that I would like to apply the last available firmware etc to see if I can get a handle on the fans...
  7. A

Expander and Backplane stacking/cascading to facilitate a modular storage expansion plan ?

Here they are on Amazon.ca https://www.amazon.ca/Homyl-Backplane-5-25inch-Internal-Aluminium/dp/B07NSR3QK6 I was able to purchase them previously for about $15-$20 USD each/shipped, but the price has since gone up for North American listings. You may want to try Aliexpress, as they are always...
  8. A

Expander and Backplane stacking/cascading to facilitate a modular storage expansion plan ?

I just noticed that. I found an Amazon.ca listing for $30 CAD shipped (~$25 USD) and ordered a couple of the 'Lenovos' to keep as spares just in case. I also still have a couple 'IBM' 6Gb originals, one of which still needs a firmware update to recognize my drives, but the Lenovo branded...
  9. A

Fair enough. While I have a healthy enough collection of HW SAS2108 based LSI cards to choose from, all are only 8 lanes per (twin 8087's). I should be able to run a pair under the same Management Console, providing there isn't a driver conflict, as they won't match. The 9280 4i/4e (shown in...
  10. A

While I can't comment on the most popular IBM 6Gb or HP 3Gb, the Lenovo branded 6Gb expander seems to have zero issues on HW RAID, being fed a single 4 lane connection in order to support an 8 drive SAS array and another 8 drive SATA array simultaneously following a couple months of testing. I...
  11. A

Is there a preferred connection strategy for Expander/Backplane Stacking/Cascading from a single RAID Card ? If forced to chose, which of the following 2 connection strategies would you settle for ? Parts count and cost are not an issue, as I have most of the required hardware already. (As...
  12. A

Anyone here familiar with welding or soldering Aluminum ?

I think most the the heatsinks on my cards, including the model you pictured are pretty much the same, so I will give it a shot.
  13. A

New Forum Category idea ?

The only thing worse than being the smelly kid, is being the poor kid....lol
  14. A

Budget NAS rated HDDs - Is it worth giving 'new' WD Red+ drives a chance ?

I am the only user that actually writes to the array(s), so drive speed isn't a real problem. Once an array is written to, the data doesn't really change. My traffic is 99% Reads. With your point about the WD drives in mind, I will stick with Seagate and grab more Ironwolf drives, as I am happy...
  15. A

New Forum Category idea ?

The complete lack of sarcasm on my part doesn't translate very well through txt, so rest assured, I am being serious. Any chance of a 'Home User', 'Poor Kid', 'Home Server' or other area to separate some of the less interesting (for example...not pointing fingers).... "still using LGA1366" and...