Recent content by Allan74

1. A

Dell/HP/IBM/Lenovo branded 1L Mini PC with 2x eSATA Ports ?

Does anyone happen to know (or have) a Dell/HP/IBM/Lenovo branded 1L Mini PC with 2x eSATA Ports ? I have seen older 3/4th Gen Core I machines with a single eSATA port, but never 2. Does a Mini PC exist that has 2x eSATA Ports ? I have an 8bay eSATA Box that I would like to use for offline cold...
  2. A

Complete Rack ReVamp including Storage Pool and protocols - Suggestions welcome.

Here goes nothing...... Perspective: It's Home Internet Sharing with a Large Plex Library. Nothing mission critical (yet). Up to this point, I have been centrally managing all of my storage (3 boxes) in the form of SAS DAS, from a single box (for simplicity/laziness) and it has served me well...
  3. A

Samsung 8TB QVO in raid?

Glad I found this thread....and don't mean to highjack it....sorry. Samsung 4TB QVO's are on for $170 USD locally right now and I am thinking about deploying a new (old) 2U SFF 24bay R720 or similar and starting with either 8 or more drives, to start moving my Plex library from spinning rust...
  4. A

Platform choice help. 2nd Gen Epyc vs Intel ?

Nice. I didn't realize there was so much search-fu involved in Ebay. This info will help me immensely in the future. THANKS. I essentially want to build myself a homebrew Dell Compellant Controller Box to oversee all of my DAS and even ISCSI with multiple expansion slots, ECC Memory as a...
  5. A

$6.00 USD 16GB Intel Optane NVME SSD - Useful or E-Waste ?

At their current price starting @ $6.00 USD each (16GB Optane NVME SSD), could a single drive perhaps serve as RAID Cache or substitute for scenarios on a Workstation where one might want a RAM Drive (temp file/folder redirection in Windows) providing a PCH connected NVME Slot with proper key...
  6. A

I was actually looking at some LGA 3647 stuff, as the Gold (and even a few Platinum) CPUs seem to be dirt cheap. The Motherboards on the other hand are a bit steep. Alternatively, if I could find some decent priced DDR4 ECC UDIMM's, I would just use my existing Ryzen9 3950x on it's current board...
  7. A

Yes, the delicate nature of the boards has me a bit concerned, so I will have to be careful with whatever I choose. I just don't want to resort to the easy backup plan which is just grabbing a V3/4 LGA2011 box from the Recyclers for now.
  8. A

I could really use some help from those that are familiar with Intel CPUs/Motherboards NEWER than LGA2011. My product knowledge basically ends there. I am looking for a single socket ATX motherboard + CPU for a basic Custom/Homebuilt 4U that won't break the bank. The current frontrunner...
  9. A

HPE P840 - Cables

Each of those "double-sized SFF-8087" carries 8 Lanes. Your card has 16 Lanes/2 Connectors. I was trying to find cables for some cheap 12G P440 4GB cards that I came across, and found that the cabling/conversion was more of a hassle (and price) than made the change worthwhile. The Interwebs...
  10. A

Think I have a faulty Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G CPU but I cannot return. Trying to decide which CPU and where to buy it for replacement for X570D4U-2L2T

You don't need an APU. The VGA output will serve up video output via built-into the motherboard. The HDMI is there to output from an APU. Next, APU memory controllers are weak. Try run 2 sticks of memory for a short time (if you are running 4) and run lower Mem clocks with 4 sticks. Lastly...
  11. A

Anyone using TP-Link Omada based infrastructure ?

I apologize for the attached artwork, but here is where I am at. I only have the main Managed switch left to order and have everything else. With the amateur colored wiring runs aside, is there any reason that you might consider 1 switch over the other ? The breakdown is as follows: 2x...
  12. A

Cost-effective 2.5/5/10 Gbps Managed Switches?

Like others, I also have a Netgear MS510TX and have no complaints. It does what it says it will and isn't loud. While the Web UI is a bit dated, all of the functionality you would expect from a switch at it's price point (if you can find one) is included. I would guy it again. It's a great...
  13. A

Suggestions for a RAID Cache SSD ?

Thanks. I found a starting point. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/225042733854?hash=item3465979b1e:g:AHwAAOSwjfxitKog That pair just seems too good of a deal compared to the others listed, or perhaps it's a good deal and the others are all overpriced. thanks for the help.
  14. A

The 'male' end is standard SATA and the 'female' end is undivided, so physically it will accept a SAS drive. (I have the RED PCB adapter). It has the same ends as the basic Dell UFO70 blue SAS/SATA interposer. I may have to setup the test bench and connect a SAS HDD to the tray's connector...
  15. A

200GB is far more than I need and I was hoping to find something well under 100GB, so that even Chia guys would have passed it by due to size for under $100.