Recent content by AdditionalPylons

1. A

Simple VLAN question

Thanks! I doubt any of this can be set on consumer routers though. This is why I was thinking of adding a managed switch in between. But if I understand it correctly the link between b and c (the router and the managed switch) will not use VLAN tagging (or at least the router won't care about...
  2. A

Simple VLAN question

I want both VLANs to access the router (and thus the internet), but not to each other. If both VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 have access to the router, can't a package go from the VLAN 1 to the switch, to the router, then back to the switch and to VLAN 2?
  3. A

Simple VLAN question

Just a cheap L2 switch (such as TP-Link TL-SG108E, ZyXEL GS1200-8 or Netgear GS308E).
  4. A

Simple VLAN question

Dear STHers, I have started to learn about VLANs and have a probably very simple question. I have a device that needs connection to the internet but not to other devices on the network. I am considering setting up a network that looks like this: a) Internet | b) Consumer router (that as far...
  5. A

Cheapest way to get Fibre into an iMac?

The QNAP QNA-T310G1S (Thunderbolt 3 to SFP+) does not have a fan. Note the S in the end, which is for SFP+. This is in contrast to the QNAP-QNA-T310G1T (Thunderbolt 3 to RJ45 10Gbase-T) which has a fan and has many user complaints about being loud.
  6. A

EU WTB: Intel Core i7-4790S and Socket 2011 Xeon

Hi! If you still have these 16GB SSDs I'd be happy to buy two. What would postage to Sweden cost? (I wasn't sure if the stock status in the first post is updated. It says 18.)
  7. A

IDRAC power consumption when server is powered off?

Does anybody know what the power consumption of a Dell server is when the server is off but with IDRAC running? In particular I am interested in 12 and 13 gen systems such as R720/R630/R730 if it matters. The reason for asking is that I am thinking about getting a server to put at my parents'...
  8. A

NBase-T product watch

Has anyone tried these cheap generic 2.5 GbE USB NICs? They are available from very many sellers on e.g. Aliexpress for less than $17: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?trafficChannel=main&d=y&CatId=0&SearchText=rtl8156b&ltype=wholesale&SortType=price_asc&groupsort=1&page=1 On Amazon (UK at...
  9. A

NBase-T product watch

QNAP just launched their QSW-1105-5T switch, which has 5 ports at 2.5 Gbps. Product page: QSW-1105-5T - Features My initial thoughts after just reading online: This is the first “cheap” switch with only 2.5GbE ports. (€120, so of course not “lunch money” as 5-port 1GbE switches have become.)...
  10. A

Are there 2.5GBase-T SFP+ modules?

That is interesting. I stand corrected. Thanks!
  11. A

Are there 2.5GBase-T SFP+ modules?

I can think of at least three reasons, all dealbreaking for the people it concerns: 1. 10 GbE does not support Power over Ethernet. 2. There are thousands of metres of CAT5E in schools, universities, corporate buildings etc. that needs something faster than 1 GbE to connect to WiFi access...
  12. A

NBase-T product watch

I got tired of trying to find a good overview of NBASE-T products, so I made a spreadsheet myself: NBASE-T products It is most likely missing some products, but you can help me adding more products either by commenting in the sheet, sending me an e-mail or replying to this post.
  13. A

Dual e5-2670 and 256gb of DDR3 $600 with no bids. Ends in 6 hours

He has two negative feedback this year for this item alone. I'd be careful.
  14. A

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

I paid $42.60 for shipping and then Norwegian 25% VAT on top of everything when it arrived (there is no toll on computers in Norway, but VAT is of course added), and a fee to the Norwegian Post for handling the import (approximately either €15 or €30, I can't remember), but I'm not sure how that...
  15. A

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

I also bought this kit from Natex in May and they sent it to me in Norway. It was well packaged and everything in perfect order and has been working well ever since. I can definitely recommend them! There's a whole thread about those deals here on the forum and Pam seems to have been helpful...